Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Cloudcandy

Question Coco...first heat...help...urm?

EEEEKKKKK.
So just came home to Coco now,been out for 2 1/2 hour's her little....thing looks a little pink,if not with a bit of blood on it.This morning I noticed her general area looked at little more swollen/pinker then usual.
There is a teeny blood stain from where she was napping whilst I was away.
I think she's on hear :S...That's what you call it right?

So now I'm thinking...now what?I just wanted to check with everyone that my plan sound's correct...
-No off leash walking in the park.Should I even take her to the park?
-I'm looking after Alabama on Friday,is she going to be ok with other bitches?
-Go to the petshop tomorrow and get her some nappy's
-she will be not be allowed on the bed tonight sadly,is there anything else I can add to her crate to make her more comfortable.

Before I read the yes/no's around spaying I thought i would just get her spayed,but after reading all the health concern's I still haven't made her mind up.
I'm willing to do whatever I need to for however long this last's (? ) so if anyone could give me the big no no's etc.that would be great

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Personally, I wouldn't take my dog to the park at all while they're in heat. The risk of a dog running up off leash and mounting her isn't worth it.

I prepared ahead of time with Emma and ordered her heat panties online. I cut up thin pads and stuck them inside of them, which worked really well as she barely bled.

Good luck! It's definitely not fun, but it will be over with soon.

Here's Emma giving me the dirtiest look for taking a picture lol:

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Behavior Nerd

General rule of thumb is that heat lasts 3 weeks: 1 week coming in, one in "standing" heat where they are most receptive to breeding, and one week going out. This can vary, but it's a good starting point.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that males are VERY persistent, so relying on fencing or human interference to dissuade one interested in breeding is not a good idea. Males, AND females, will scale fences, dig under fences, pull off panties, etc. to breed. Snipe was actually leash walking *inside* our fence until I was sure she wouldn't try scaling it initially.

If you take her on a walk it may be advisable to drive her to the park or walking path vs walking there so her scent trail doesn't lead the males to you door - we didn't walk Aeri or Snipe since we have a fenced yard and they could be 100% supervised while in heat, but as it was we had **5** different intact males checking out our property while both girls were in heat.

Some girls are really clean, so panties aren't always a must have - neither Snipe or Aeri had a problem keeping things clean without panties, though I do have some on hand just in case future heats are more obvious.

eta:
Some females do get snarkier with other dogs during heat, so just be aware of that when she's hanging out with her (female only) friends.

I did take my girls out and about while in heat, but carried Direct Stop (citronella spray) and constantly scanned so I could be aware of any dogs in the vicinity. It was still a risk, so you may want to avoid public walks if you can.

Even neutered males can tie with a female, so keep that in mind if you have any neutered males Coco plays with.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Walks into Mordor

I wouldn't take her anywhere she could possibly be near male dogs. No park, no walks. She can cause a dog riot, LOL. Even if she's safely on a leash and male dogs can't actually get to her, her scent and proximity could start fights among any intact male dogs nearby.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Cloudcandy

Thank's guy's,I panicked a bit there and wrote all of that before calming down and remembering and goggling.
My apartment is very dog proof but my local park is FULL of dog's,poor Coco will have to stay at home whilst me and Alabama have alot of fun
Going to get the panties tomorrow,though I'm not sure if she will need them,she is generally very clean and so far it is a very small amount!
I'm going to keep her on a leash at all time's,and walk her in less dog populated place's.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Emma barely needed the panties- she weighed less than 3lbs at that time, and was very clean. So I really wouldn't be surprised if you only used them to "model" on Coco. lol.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Cloudcandy

That's what I'm thinking.Coco is 1.8 so,we'll see.It's a shame since my friend was going to lend me her old pair,that she only used on her pup once.However,she is now in Thailand for the next 3 weeks!Glad it happened now though,I don't have too much going on atm,and was worried it might happen when I went on holiday!

Lemony Snicket
Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I wish I could send mine to you, but her heat will be over before they get to you!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Would newborn baby diapers work or would they be too big?

I use Diapers of Teagan when her incontinace is bad. I just cut a whole where her tail would go. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying diapers from the petstore.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Cloudcandy

@Jessie Thnks
@Hayley Oh they would be way to big unless they were for very very premature babies :S

Lemony Snicket