Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, you don't even have to show ID at my shelter. I am normally the volunteer showing people the animals, so what normally happens is:

Person walks in.
Person signs in at the front desk.
I ask what they are looking for.
I bring them to the appropriate room (cats/kittens, puppies, small adults, or large adults.)
I answer any questions they have about any animal, and take out animals for them.
They pick one.
I bring it, along with its cage card, to the desk while they fill out a short form consisting of name, phone number, and address.
I give them the animal.
Onto the next person.

As long as you have money, you can get whatever animal you want, no questions ask.

We have a surprisingly low return rate, so I guess it works for us?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Well the Human Society usually has a few applications and interviews. That's not too bad. But the one in the only city in north Oklahoma has some issues. I passed everything but when I said I didn't really know what breed Yoshi was they basically accused me of hiding information. I even provided them a picture of her and they said no because a responsible owner could identify the dogs breed. They have some God complex issues.

The kills shelters in the county have a smaller application. Half of them will have the dog spayed or neutered before sending them home. Others have you pay an extra 20-50 that will be refunded if you get them fixed. They use to adopt out a dog and that was it. If it didn't work out they asked for the dog to be returned there. Now most of the ones around here have someone who does follow ups and checks up to make sure it is working out for everyone.

They aren't too different there is just a lot fewer hoops to jump through and the dogs at the county shelters are put down after a certain period of time if no one adopts them.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Animal control type places are usually pretty old school.

You show ID saying you are over 18. You pay adoption fee. you get the dog.. Usually same day if the dog is already spayed/neutered
That's always been my impression. I can see the faults with that, of course, but I personally found a dog recently in the AC shelter that I LOVE. I wish I could go get him right now.

Ahem

How cute is that face?!

My Polyvore
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Yeah. I'm not going to go to a rescue. Some day in the future I'll get one or more dogs from a shelter for sure! Go in, have a look around, take the dog out for a bit, make a decision, fill out basic form, talk to workers, pay and leave with your new dog. Yes please!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

This is why, when I adopt, I plan to adopt from someone independently fostering or go to animal control.

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Walks into Mordor

I've also been through circuses trying to adopt. I've been turned down for ridiculous reasons, including racism. Sad, but it's true. I went to a rescue event from a group in an affluent, predominately white neighborhood. There was a particular puppy I wanted to adopt. The volunteer looked down her nose at me and turned me down flat, saying they didn't adopt to apartment dwellers. There was a white girl my age talking to the rescue volunteer RIGHT NEXT TO ME who said she lived in an apartment and hoped she could still adopt. The volunteer said, "Oh, that's not a problem. We do it all the time."

Uh huh. Yeah.

I have no problem adopting from Animal Control. They have what I think is a very reasonable questionaire: Do you have landlord approval if you rent, how much time can you spend with your pet, can you provide shelter and attention if the pet will be primarily outdoors, do you have small children, what are your current pets, and what happened to your past pets. That's about it. I've seen the volunteers do some very good work based off that simple questionaire. For example, one volunteer steered a family with three preschool aged children away from an 8-week-old chihuahua mix and towards a year-old retriever mix. Worked out perfectly.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Twin 2.0

There are some good rescues, there are some sh*tty rescues. There are some sh*tty workers in good rescues. A friend of mine just had her adopted horse taken away from her because she was "abusing the mare." And by "abuse" she meant "used a snaffle bit".
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Let it be

A snaffle is abuse?! So 99% of broke horses are abused? Common now!

I am really put off by rescuces due to this kind of treatment. I think private rescue may be a better choice for me due to having a small child, a dog and a cat already in my home BUT the local pound sounds a lot better to me if they aren't going to give me a ton of crap. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get a pet. I treat my dog well. He lives a great life. I will answer questions within reason and that's it. If not, sadly I will move on and find another dog in need of a home.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I really wonder if this differs by region. I've yet to run into these nutty rescues, and I volunteer with 2, worked at a shelter that networked with (screened) rescues, etc. I know they exist, so maybe I'm just lucky?!
Yeah I've never had this problem with a rescue. Although my dad said that when they applied to adopt Wilson (one of our fosters with the ACD rescue) he was a little taken aback by all the questions they asked. I didn't think it was that bad - they asked about fences, previous dogs, vet reference, how many people in the house, etc etc but maybe it's because I've been exposed to it for awhile now.

I don't know, maybe it's because I've fostered but I don't have a problem with most rescue applications/processes as long as the people I'm working with are pleasant and flexible. Our first foster (an ACD) was adopted to a guy that lived in a condo. Most rescues wouldn't have even considered him but the guy was a long distance runner. He had all these plans for hiking and running and having fun with his dog, they were a fantastic fit. So the rescue made an exception for him.

The problems and hurt feelings come around when rescues don't make that exception. I get that, I really do, I just think it must be a much worse problem in rescues in other areas because I haven't seen it here. I'm really glad - I feel like the places here actually do want to help dogs and they don't treat people who want to adopt like idiots about it.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

My dogs have all been easy to adopt. Not once have I had a home check, not once have I even been asked about fences.

My Photos