Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Dog Day Pets

I thought that I would add my 2 cents on prong collars. I have an Alaskan Malamute which were bred for sledding. I got him from the Humane Society at about 2 years old. I have no history on him, so I don't know if he was trained for sledding by his previous owner. I tried the choke chain on him at first but he would pull so hard that he left himself gasping for air. I searched the internet and found that most sites said the same thing about stopping him from pulling " Unless you have a lot of time, if you can keep your Malamute from dragging you down the street, you've won". I had misgivings on the prong collar, but tried it anyway. The results were great. He still pulls but not hard. It doesn't hurt him or he would not continue to pull.
They are a form of torture only when the human on the other end yanks on the leash as a form of discipline. As long as you use it as it is intended, it can solve the problem of pulling.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

here is a trick i learned from my friend..no prong needed..no choke collar either..it worked like a charm for Victor. Everytime your dog starts to pull switch directions and go the opposite way..EVERY TIME!! you"ll get a bit dizzy but the dog will figure out that he isn't going anywhere trying to lead and will begin looking to you to lead and voila..now you have his attention where it needs to be..ON YOU..not on where he wants to go..he will be saying WHERE ARE WE GOING..not where am i taking you..it works..it really really does!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Felurian

My experience with GSDs and Filas using a standard chest/shoulder harness has been that the harness worked like a charm. BUT, if you put the same harness on a dog that's been bred to pull, like a Husky or Malamute or Chin, you're likely to get the exact opposite result! No one thing works for every dog. You have to pay attention to what kind of stimuli works with your particular dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
You can use a training tool like a choke collar, prong collar, gentle leader, halti, or no pull harness.
We started using a Halti on Ruby because she pulled like mad. Stopped the problem in less than 20 minutes. Seriously.

Dogs like having their mouths open. If they do something that causes their mouths to be shut, they don't like it, and learn very quickly. The halti does nothing except shut their mouths when they pull - and as soon as they stop, they can open their mouths again. Fantastic, inexpensive, life-saving!!

I would suggest lots of walk time and training with a Halti - best $16 I ever spent on my dogs!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

I'm dog sitting one heck of a puller right now! He's an overweight, (110+ lbs!), choc lab. Sweet as pie. But he's a powerful "tank" of a dog!

What I'm doing with him is baby steps. I just creep along and stop, creep along and stop, turn around, creep along and stop. I don't let him get any forward momentum going. No steady pressure on his neck and no leash corrections. I use my hand with a gentle bumping, to do this.

I got this technique from working with horses, actually! I had a horse that would "lean" on his bit, instead of balance back on his hindquarters. So I worked my reins this way to keep contact with him, without giving anything to lean on.

As far as collars and harnesses, I have never found one perfect tool for every dog.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:32 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
I got this technique from working with horses, actually! I had a horse that would "lean" on his bit, instead of balance back on his hindquarters. So I worked my reins this way to keep contact with him, without giving anything to lean on.
You constantly bumped the reins back and forth to maintain contact? Hard on the mouth! Poor horse!

Glad things have changed and there is so much more to training and working with these animals. A great big bag of tricks to call on.

Halti, gentle leader, prong collar, slip collar, no pull harness.........I mean something should work.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
here is a trick i learned from my friend..no prong needed..no choke collar either..it worked like a charm for Victor. Everytime your dog starts to pull switch directions and go the opposite way..EVERY TIME!! you"ll get a bit dizzy but the dog will figure out that he isn't going anywhere trying to lead and will begin looking to you to lead and voila..now you have his attention where it needs to be..ON YOU..not on where he wants to go..he will be saying WHERE ARE WE GOING..not where am i taking you..it works..it really really does!
That is so funny because I tried that method too (I saw it on tv once), but it didnt work for me. My rottie would change directions and keep pulling no matter how fast I changed directions. the prong was the only thing that worked, and it was my last resort, just because I was biased on it, and I thought it was cruel to use one (I was very wrong). I tried the choke chain, head halter, regular harness, and a no-pull harness, and none of them worked. I finaly got the prong and it worked like a miracle! my dog didnt cry, yip, or choke with it on. it completely changed my opinion on prong colars!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
You constantly bumped the reins back and forth to maintain contact? Hard on the mouth! Poor horse!
Nah, I've been told I have great hands and a very gentle method. There is a big difference between light contact and banging a horse in the mouth.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique
Nah, I've been told I have great hands and a very gentle method. There is a big difference between light contact and banging a horse in the mouth.

I just read your words and to me a bump is harsh, more like banging........depends on how you define the word.

Light contact is always good on any horses mouth it is very reassurring to them. Thanks for clearifying I appreciate it as a horse lover and training nothing ticks me off more then seeing people yanking and hauling on their horses mouths.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
I just read your words and to me a bump is harsh, more like banging........depends on how you define the word.

Light contact is always good on any horses mouth it is very reassurring to them. Thanks for clearifying I appreciate it as a horse lover and training nothing ticks me off more then seeing people yanking and hauling on their horses mouths.
Amen!