Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
The ***** idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane
This is probably a dumb question, but let's say he starts pulling, you stop and wait. How long do you wait? Do you put the dog in a sit/stay, or start walking again as soon as he stops pulling. I have saw this done on TV and it looks so easy, but it's hard for me to keep consistent. Do you think an older dog could learn this?
Lois,
Your makin harder than it really is. When he pulls out in front, you pull him back into heel position and command "HEEL", do this while walking, have both hands on the leash. And yes, this is something an older dog can and should learn. You do not stop and wait for him to stop pulling, in his mind he is winning. With corrections timing is everything, again, when he pulls out in front (even just a little bit), pull him back into heel position and command "HEEL!", eventually after 100 or so repetitions he'll figure out that he gains nothing by stepping out in front. Also be 100% consistent, and repeat this drill daily, this is where many trainers and handlers fail.

Good luck.

-Dix
Old 11-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Rocky's mom

Thanks, that was a great explanation.

http://www.dogster.com/?221000
Old 11-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane
This is probably a dumb question, but let's say he starts pulling, you stop and wait. How long do you wait? Do you put the dog in a sit/stay, or start walking again as soon as he stops pulling. I have saw this done on TV and it looks so easy, but it's hard for me to keep consistent. Do you think an older dog could learn this?
In the site I listed www.clickerlessons.com/lessons you stop and wait until they turn around and make eye contact with you. Then you start walking. Stop when they pull wait for eye contact... they don't get it at first but my Nanook had mostly figured it out after an hour of doing it. Don't worry about the sit/stay. You can teach active heeling later. I think you want loose-leashing walking for now, right?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Active Pup

hi
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Active Pup

Thumbs up I get stuff from this website all the time

I get stuff from this website all the time
My 3 Dobes look like super models
None of them pull too much - they behave well all the time
My budy from training class had porblem like yours
I know he got harness and his dog probably started to think that this is
some sort of armor and was going around proud like hell :-)
He keeps pulling most of the time in spite of it
but there might be a point about preassure on the chest in stead of neck for sure
good luck
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 AM
yuckaduck

The aspen no pull harness does nto cross the chest either. It loops front to back around the front legs and the pressure point is the armpit area. Dog cannot pull back or front.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
the prong collar is an instrument of torture
You are wrong! you shouldnt post false information! it is proven that choke chains cause more muscle damage, even if it is used properly. Prong colars do not hurt dogs, I know because I have used them before. get your facts straight and do dome research!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
rottiegirl

A Study on Prong Collars was done in Germany:
100 dogs were in the study. 50 used choke and 50 used prong.
The dogs were studied for their entire lives. As dogs died, autopsies were performed.
Of the 50 which had chokes, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.
Of the 50 which had prongs, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.
The numbers seem to speak for themselves. check this link out... http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html prong colars are great treaning tools. they work great!!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Active Pup

Hello my friends,
Thank you so much for your time and help
I could not expect even in my dream that it is possible to get so much valuable information in such fast period of time
I am going to apply all I have learned and will be happy to update about progress
Thank you so much
p.s. I guess I'll have to wait with getting the harness :-)
what good is the harness for anyway (beside pulling)?
I came across at least 5 other website which sell the harnesses
Should I have it for my dog for some reason?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 AM
yuckaduck

Walmart sells the aspen no pull harness----$7.95 canadian