Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-13-2005, 04:11 PM
GSDGurl

I use a Fur Saver Slip Collar.I find it better than normal choke chains since it doesnt damage the GSD hair.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

How about just some good old training and rewards to teach the dog to stay close to you? You don't have to immediately jump to training collars to solve your problem. With a lot of dogs, simply rewarding the behavior of staying close to you and watching you is enough to keep their leash manners good.

Oh, and I would never EVER use a choke collar on a puller. EVER. The chance of the dog doing lasting damage to its neck is too great for me to want to risk it. I'd use a pinch collar, nothing else.

I use a gentle leader for Dakota when we are in close quarters with other people. It gives him the extra bit of direction he needs. I would never use a halti or GL on a dog that regularly runs out and hits the end of the leash. Again, severe neck damage can be the result. I would imagine if a dog RAN to the end of the leash and hit it, their neck could snap. If you keep them on a rather short lead and don't allow them to lunge forward, I consider it to be quite safe provided that you have been shown the correct way to use it.

Do try training and reinforcement of good behavior before you go on to use a training collar!
Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
chowchow

I've tried nearly everything with Princess, queen of pulling. Finally I got a (not sure what its called exactly) front lead halter. From the first time I used that she no longer pulled. I now can walk both my dogs at the same time, and have even taken Kokomo with us on walks with no struggle.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMom
the prong collar is an instrument of torture
JMHO
A choke collar is an instrument of torture JMHO. Do some research- see how many dogs get throat problems or other injury from a choker vs how many dogs have physical injury from a prong. A prong only closes so far, a choker will keep closing. Put a prong on your leg or arm and pull it and see for yourself, it's hardly torture. It pinches, it does not choke the dog.

I also agree on the comments on the halti. If a dog sees a cat or squirrel or other prey item and lunges for it, you can do some severe damage to their necks if their head snaps around to the side fast and hard.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
A choke collar is an instrument of torture JMHO. Do some research- see how many dogs get throat problems or other injury from a choker vs how many dogs have physical injury from a prong. A prong only closes so far, a choker will keep closing. Put a prong on your leg or arm and pull it and see for yourself, it's hardly torture. It pinches, it does not choke the dog.

I also agree on the comments on the halti. If a dog sees a cat or squirrel or other prey item and lunges for it, you can do some severe damage to their necks if their head snaps around to the side fast and hard.

I agree with DanL completely. I have used prongs on all three of my dogs. They are much more humane than chokers especially for pullers. Like Dan said, they don't choke the dog, they just pinch him. IMHO it's better to train them not to pull with a regular buckle collar on by simply stopping when they pull and walking when the leash is loose. It's very hard to do when you're walking three dogs though.
As for harnesses (what the op asked about) I have never used one. I believe yuckaduck uses some sort of no pull harness on her GDSs. She posted pictures once. Try pming her.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Island dweller

How about some training before you use some quick fixes?

This worked for me http://www.clickerlessons.com/loose.html but you have to actually do it in the rain, snow... and be consistent.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Quigleyfied

there's a really neat new book out specifically about training dogs to walk nicely on a loose leash. i don't really have a need for it anymore personally, but i bought it because i really, really like the training philosophies of the author (turid rugaas) and want to keep up with her training materials.

the book is called "My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do?" (ISBN 1929242239) and it's only around $9. it's a short, easy read (65 pages or so) but illustrated with lots of photos that explain her training technique.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 AM
GSDMom

[QUOTE=DanL]A choke collar is an instrument of torture JMHO. Do some research- see how many dogs get throat problems or other injury from a choker vs how many dogs have physical injury from a prong. A prong only closes so far, a choker will keep closing. Put a prong on your leg or arm and pull it and see for yourself, it's hardly torture. It pinches, it does not choke the dog.

Dan I agree a choke collar COULD be an instrument of torture if not worn or used properly

we are both entitled to our own opinions

Last edited by GSDMom; 11-14-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 AM

again agreeing with GSDMom, a choke collar could be horrible if not used with maximum care. when I said I used it..ALONG with training...it was always with extreme caution. I'd never let my dog lunge, choke horribly, or chance hurting their neck in any way! (I don't think I was very clear about that) BUT, as a mere tool....all I'm saying is it helped. I followed leash guidance..the choke collar was used only as an extra (IF needed). Ham learned immediately that he didn't like to pull. Addie still has pulling issues..SO, I do not use the choke collar on her. (I think it's her husky coming out..she sure would be great if I were on a sleigh) it is again...all about YOUR dog. I can't help that I think prong collars look too harsh...I just can't believe it's a mere 'pinch' the dog receives. JUST opinion....we always can agree to disagree. OH...when you see Ham's pic, yes...he still wears the chain choke collar...but it's because he likes the look of it. I was amazed how quickly it wasn't needed at all. (hey....you know how some guys like that chain dangling around their neck..lookin tuff) LOL
Old 11-14-2005, 09:40 AM
GSDMom

LOL Debi, I wear a Gold plated choke on Minka, i bought it for her when she got her Championship title - it's her jewelry
she barley ever gets put on leash anyway and if so is on dead ring
Dion has a bigger chain, fur saver one he thinks he looks pretty studly in it