Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

*shrugs* I don't believe really strict dieting is healthy (especially for me)...but paleo just seems the same as "healthy eating". I don't know, what do people trying to "eat healthy" eat besides meat, fruit, veggies, nuts? Yoghurt? Quinoa? I don't think those things are bad for you.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Meat, fruit, veggies, and nuts are what you eat when you eat paleo. No paleo people don't eat yogurt if it contains milk because it's dairy and no they don't eat quinoa because it's a grain.

Dairy is a point of contention - many people can't tolerate it so there's a group of people who believe we shouldn't eat it. Other people aren't that concerned about what other people eat and feel if you can digest dairy without problems go for it.
As for grains, you might be surprised if you read around about recent research on grains and exactly how bad for you they are - particularly when it comes to wheat.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I'm still keto. Fell off the train May/June.. Got back on a month ago. Feel better again. It's a sustainable way for me to eat long term as long as people don't tempt me back onto carbs. A carby meal I can go back just fine though the carbs will make me feel like trash..

More than one and the cravings for junk come back.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Felurian

I ate a couple of baked potatoes the other week.

Felt like crap -- and craved junk.

No more white potatoes for me. Other people can eat them and be fine, but they do a number on me. Even too much fruit other than berries and citrus. I guess there's a reason I don't like it much?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

The idea behind not eating dairy is that humans actually don't get much of anything from it past a certain age. Adults aren't built or meant to have dairy, and especially not from cows. Most people don't realize JUST how bad it is and how crappy it makes you feel until after you cut it. Personally, I noticed hormone improvements and I dropped a lot of "bloat" weight after I cut dairy. If I dare drink milk midway through my cycle, I'm a raging bitch and my cramps and bewb issues are SO much worse.

Most of the time though, I eat around 70% Paleo/Primal. I'm not super into it as much anymore because my food drive hit rock bottom when I got Implanon, but I have figured out what works well for my body. I lost weight eating 3500-4000 calories a day. I lost 25-30lbs, actually. And I'm STILL losing weight although I have tried bulking up my carbs more with potatoes and veggies to compensate for everything my metabolism is burning off. I still have a sammich every now and then, my morning coffee with hazelnut creamer and Swiss Miss cocoa. There's ramen and canned ravioli's in the house. Cereal here and there. I'm not super strict, but even putting in a little effort gave me a lot of incentive to keep going. And I definitely notice when I'm taking in more saturated fat and when I'm not. I don't eat a ton of fruit because it's too much sugar for me.

Paleo definitely isn't strict, it's mostly just "healthier eating" like other said, combined with the knowledge that saturated fat is not bad for you and grain is. That alone puts a lot of people off because they've bought into the idea that grain is the best thing ever and saturated fat is the devil. It's the exact same reasoning with dog food. Grain is cheap and easy to process, and they can make a huge surplus off of it. It's a filler, not actually good for you.

It seems like common sense, but a lot of the bogus research in the past 50 years or so has put people off-track.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I think eating strictly paleo is a strict diet. Now I know a lot of people, me included, who do the paleo-ish diet. I still eat Greek yogurt and some dairy, for example. We don't do a lot of carbs and eat sweet potatoes. But we're also not strictly paleo.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Meat, fruit, veggies, and nuts are what you eat when you eat paleo. No paleo people don't eat yogurt if it contains milk because it's dairy and no they don't eat quinoa because it's a grain.
Oh, I know what paleo is, but I'm saying to me, it doesn't seem that much different than just trying to "eat healthy" without putting some fad diet name onto it. To me, eating healthy is being paleo and has alsways been paleo, even before I had heard of a paleo diet, maybe with one or two minor differences.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com

Last edited by milos_mommy; 12-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Oh, I know what paleo is, but I'm saying to me, it doesn't seem that much different than just trying to "eat healthy" without putting some fad diet name onto it. To me, eating healthy is being paleo and has also been paleo, even before I had heard of a paleo diet, maybe with one or two minor differences.
A lot of it too is what you eat and how much of each thing, and how. Lean roast beef is quite different than greasy fried burgers with tons of salt, and a salad with olive oil and lemon is not quite the same as a salad dripping with fake mayo.

Tonight's dinner: Fish and fried 'rice' with veggies. No real rice was injured, we used stunt cauliflower which was grated and cooked at the last minute before the eggs were tossed into the mix. Regret telling the fam what was in it, I think the boy would have eaten double if he didn't know it wasn't rice.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I don't either, I just cut out the really bad stuff like: soda (I used to go thru. 6pack a day ... Now I drink like one soda a week, I limit my fast food to like ... Once or twice a month & try not to eat too late
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Oh, I know what paleo is, but I'm saying to me, it doesn't seem that much different than just trying to "eat healthy" without putting some fad diet name onto it. To me, eating healthy is being paleo and has alsways been paleo, even before I had heard of a paleo diet, maybe with one or two minor differences.
But paleo is VASTLY different than just "eat healthy." For one thing, ask twenty people what "eat healthy" means. You'll get a different response from all of them. Some are going to tell you it's low carb, some are going to tell you it's low calorie, some are going to tell you low fat. And probably at least half would tell you "WHOLE GRAINS!!!1!!" is part of eating healthy. You yourself mentioned yogurt and that you don't think it's bad for you.

But that's not paleo. Paleo isn't low carb, low calorie, it's definitely not low fat - and whole grains? NOPE.
Way way different than "eat healthy." Paleo was ranked as one of the most difficult "diets" to follow in fact in a study a few years ago.

For the record I don't even eat a paleo diet... the amount of peanut butter I eat would probably cause some of the hardcore paleo folks to keel over. However I see a lot of legit science behind it coming from people who aren't even preaching "EAT PALEO!"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog