Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
I'm sure she'd prefer a puppy, but realistically I told her it's probably best to have an adult for her first dog.

She said she wanted a 'short-haired Pomeranian', lol. She says she likes the Pomeranian as a breed, but if she had one she'd keep it cut down, I assume.
Why not an older smooth haired chihuahua then? I know around here there's TONS of chis on craigslist and there's a chi specific rescue that is always full.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Why not an older smooth haired chihuahua then? I know around here there's TONS of chis on craigslist and there's a chi specific rescue that is always full.
This is where the "I think she's been brainwahsed by stereotypes" thing comes in, because she says she doesn't like Chihuahuas. I've never owned one, and don't know how they differ to a Pom, but I told her to read about them anyway.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
overdogged

I adore Cavs. I wish they weren't so unhealthy. They are just... nice little dogs. Happy and sweet and cute and just... NICE.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Dafuq?

^What she said. I haven't met a Cav with the severe health issues you hear about, although who knows what goes on at home. The biggest thing I've seen with them is getting fat as hell and then ending up with knee problems. Most of the health stuff I heard about in that Pedigree Dogs: Exposed show, rather than through personal experience.

ETA: It is very interesting that in the OFA database, of the 9000-odd Cavaliers tested, like 97% are cardiac clear. I wonder if those are all young dogs or if the tests don't look at the same thing that these dogs are dying from.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

They're such cute little dogs. I've never met one, just admired them in photos. I love the tris and black and tans.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
*Now with Snark*

I haven't met a cav yet that didn't have health issues by 6. Usually a heart disorder but sometimes other issues too - eyes, immune, joint, etc. I think the percentage reporting in OFA are mainly because people don't submits affected - which you will know prior to sending in paperwork.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I love Cavs, but I'd never own one do to those problems. Its so very pervasive, and as far as I can tell the breed club is in denial . . .

Sigh.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
^What she said. I haven't met a Cav with the severe health issues you hear about, although who knows what goes on at home. The biggest thing I've seen with them is getting fat as hell and then ending up with knee problems. Most of the health stuff I heard about in that Pedigree Dogs: Exposed show, rather than through personal experience.

ETA: It is very interesting that in the OFA database, of the 9000-odd Cavaliers tested, like 97% are cardiac clear. I wonder if those are all young dogs or if the tests don't look at the same thing that these dogs are dying from.
Most of what I know about them, I know through Cav people and owners. They can be prone to luxating patellas, like most of the small breeds are but that is really a minor issue compared to the widespread, often fatal problems in the breed.

Statistics for later onset problems can be misleading. Since the heart issue with Cavs is something that young dogs can be clear of, only to develop it at a later time the OFA stats are likely very inaccurate. People wanting to be "responsible" have their young dogs OFA Cardio tested but it doesn't mean a lot in terms of what the dog will become years later. If you read the info from the Cav Health site that I posted, you can see that about half of the breed is affected by age 6 and most are affected by age 10 (if they live that long). I'm also not entirely sure as to how the OFA Cardio tests work or what all they are screening for. I know there are definitely Boxers and Dobes who have been cleared through them and ended up with heart issues such as Cardiomyopathy later in life.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Just try me..

Rescue. Heck even JRT rescue has quite a few really quiet snuggly happy little dogs. Not terribly drivey, which would be good for someone like your friend. You could suggest the JRTRO for a place for her to look. (www.russelrescue.org) they are full of helpful people and will not place a dog that is too much for a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Does she want a more playful athletic small dog or a chill around the house, cuddle, maybe a short walk every day dort of dog? Shih Tzus are great for the average dog owner who doesn't want a particularly athletic dog, but if someone is planning on a more go out and do stuff dog Shih-Tzus are not the best, particularly in the summer. But chances are, if she's like most average dog owners, lazier is better and Shih Tzus are great. They are not particularly barky either, which is nice since many small breeds are vocal. They do need regular, professional grooming though. Pugs might be good too, but I don't know a ton about them.
Growing up we had shih tzus. If you keep their coat trimmed they are as active if not more active in the summer than most breeds. There is a trainer around here (quite an aversive one strangely) that does quite well in obed with them. There are also a few doing agility.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Not a Border Collie

Havanese, maybe? Awesome little dogs, small but not fragile, very sweet and happy go lucky and content to keep your lap warm.

I also know of a good breeder here in Ontario if she's interested.

Quinn - English Shepherd