Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
*Now with Snark*

I consider it a waste of money so no. We don't do KC vaccines.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

I have in the past but I'm leaning towards not doing it anymore.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Even if I wasn't as anti-vaccine as I am, I wouldn't do Bordetella. It's worthless IMO.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Twin 2.0

I find bordatella a waste of time, money, and an unnecessary strain on the immune system. Sawyer hasn't had one since 2007 and we go to the dog park all. the. time. and he's never gotten it. He'll need one to start going to work with me; they only require it yearly and it's mostly a CYA measure.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 AM
Top Dog

I don't, and my dogs have never had it. I had one foster puppy that had it. It was a miserable night for us before I got her on cough meds so we could sleep, but otherwise, she was herself.

Gusto will have to get it once when he gets neutered, because the vet's office requires it for them to stay in their recovery area. I'm not worried about giving it the once, I just think it is generally a waste. Other than the rescue, the two dogs I've known with kennel cough had both been vaccinated.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Mutts to you

Riley gets it because agility and obedience lessons require proof of it, otherwise I wouldn't.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Love my pets

I think it depends on the dog's system. When we adopted a rescue who supposedly didn't have it but was at the end of the meds for it, he gave it to all my other dogs. Some of my dogs got a mild reaction & had to be on meds; one of my dogs got it bad & had all kind of meds & almost pneumonia. I don't ever want to go thru that again with all the worrying.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

"Kennel cough" is a symptom that's caused by tons of different things. The Bordetella vaccine only protects against two of those things. In a boarding/daycare situation, it's not "worthless", per say, as kennel cough via Bordetella bronchiseptica tends be on the nastier side as compared to some of the viral versions (and is more likely to develop into pneumonia), but yep, vaccinated dogs can and do still get "kennel cough".

If you're going to do it, I would: a.) go intranasal. I've heard from my holistically minded vet and several other sources that this is easier on the immune system and b.) do it every six months. Why? The intranasal vaccine creates a localized response in the tissues of the upper respiratory system (nose, throat, lungs, etc). The response is acute and doesn't last that long, however.

That said, I'd never bother with it outside of a boarding situation. I also took Macky to crowded training clubs and dog shows, and never bothered with it. But boarding kennels won't let your dog set foot in the door without it.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Nope, but I don't vaccinate against anything, so shouldn't really comment.
This.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
overdogged

I had to in order to board Luce and Mushroom, and will have to do Steve in the spring in order to board him. Otherwise, no.

That said, Steve brought something home from a rally trial a number of months ago. A week later, he started coughing. He coughed for maybe three days, not badly at all. But Mushroom (who was not at the trial) got VERY sick. Temp of 104. Lethargic, wouldn't eat, cough, snotty nose. He was SICK. He recovered fine, but it was fairly scary to see my chowhound unwilling to eat and be so lethargic that I had to carry him up the stairs to bed.

I got an email from the trial secretary that a number of people had reported kennel cough after that trial. Steve passed it on to at least two flyball teammates (he started coughing the Sunday afternoon of a weekend tournament so was swapping spit with team dogs all weekend via tennisball). Bother were sicker than I would generally expect with kennel cough. Everybody recovered fine, and it doesn't change my opinion on the vaccine, but it was kind of eye opening.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?