Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Imagination ROCKS.

I have seen people training their puppies in a dog park offleash and then when they don't listen punish them. HELLO?!?! This is a [i]dog[i/] park. Key word there being dog. Too many distractions. Harley is still a little boy, and I train him in the backyard using Sam as an example. Whenever we are walking, Sam's attention is on me. Then when I say, "Okay!" she can go do her dog thing. If I say, "Sam, Come!" WHAM! Back to me. Harley is a different story. But anyways, I am getting off topic. Training off leash is fine... In a contained area !! Like, in your fenced backyard. Not in the middle of the road. Like I have seen some people... Jeez.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 PM
The ***** idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco&quiras mama
im not bashing any1..
I just think there are kinder ways of doing it..
making the dog listen cuz its having fun, not cuz its scared.

Im not saying its always easy.. my dog Rocco is almost two and still has a long way to go . Quira is almost 1 and has been trained with the same methods and is very well behaved.
My lab is 9 mos old and we have succesfully completed OB. Again on the e-collar in the wrong hands it is a torture device, in the right hands it is a excellent training tool. When I nic him it is for less than a second, just enough to get his attention. Now that he has been collar conditioned, he will only need one quick nic as reminder of what I expect. Again this is usually just enough to get his attention not to cause major pain.

He gets fun and games as well, I play with him, rub his belly, and throw him plenty of fun bumpers because its his favorite game. He also has a basketball to play with in his pen when Im not around.

I love my dog, but I expect compliance from him 110% of the time, just as you would with your children.

-Dix
Old 11-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Big Dog

dixie..

I don***180;t doubt that you love your dog.
Just expressing my view on the matter.

And if you play with him all the time anyways why not inc that with the training.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:35 PM
The ***** idiot

He's able to differentiate between playtime and worktime and I like to keep it that way for when we do these tests.

Also I might add that everytime he learns a new concept I praise him like he's won the grand. So its not like everytime we are out training he only gets corrections, he gets lots of praise as well so he knows when hes done something right.

Im glad you expressed your views, that is what the discussion board is for, I like hearing everyones personal views on training, its what makes this world go round and round.

-Dix