Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

He's rather hard to measure, and I don't have an official measurement wicket or anything, but he's a little over 24" somewhere between 24 and a quarter to 24 and a half.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
He's rather hard to measure, and I don't have an official measurement wicket or anything, but he's a little over 24" somewhere between 24 and a quarter to 24 and a half.
He's not undersized then

"The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches."

http://www.gsdca.org/german-shepherd-dogs/education

My Lexi's dad was about the same size as him. I see a lot of oversized GSDs around, even in the show ring. My male was 28" or so and considered "average sized" by many GSD show people. There is no disqualification with GSDs for size in AKC and a lot of people seem to go for the "bigger is better" thing. But the truth is, your guy is a perfect size!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

No, he's technically within standard, I know, but he lacks the power that larger males have. He's not nearly as imposing as a slightly larger male would be, and he weighs about 55 to 60 pounds. Enzo is technically within the Labrador standard, but she's also not correct.

I guess more fitting would be they both are not to type? They are clearly "in standard" but both fall on the very small end of it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Makes sense, I like mini Knox.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
No, he's technically within standard, I know, but he lacks the power that larger males have. He's not nearly as imposing as a slightly larger male would be, and he weighs about 55 to 60 pounds. Enzo is technically within the Labrador standard, but she's also not correct.

I guess more fitting would be they both are not to type? They are clearly "in standard" but both fall on the very small end of it.
Actually the standard for GSD does not have a size preference. Males between 24"-26" are equally correct per the standard. So per the standard, his size is very correct. GSDs are really not supposed to be huge dogs and larger does not mean more powerful. My biggest GSD was probably the least powerful and definitely the least athletic. I suspect the dog that you posted his picture with is oversized, although it can be hard to judge in a photo. I have a friend with a working bred female who's 22" (again that is the correct size for a bitch per the standard) and trust me, she could be plenty intimidating if need be
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

I like Knox's size. Just throwing that out there, lol!

A girl at training (she's 13 months old) is about the same size as him. She's Czech/west German lines and oh so lovely!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Oh I wasn't saying I dislike his size. I feel it gives him a bit of an agility advantage over larger dogs for sure. He turns much quicker, tires out much more slowly, and can clear things much higher than I think a larger dog would. PLUS, I can totally pick him up and put him somewhere. I'd be hard pressed to pick up an 80 pounder, even in the event of an emergency.

Knox is my "truck dog" right now, lol, and he fits in pretty well. I just thought he wasn't exactly correct, since his size is the reason he was given to me. He was originally his breeders "keep back" pup, he's got AceofNike on one side, and Zidane on the other. He reminds me quite a bit of Nike.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

I don't know the heights on mine
they both weigh about 58lbs
and I'd have to look at their pedigrees to see who all is back there I have a good idea, but I'm terrible with human names, not much better with dogs.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Oh I wasn't saying I dislike his size. I feel it gives him a bit of an agility advantage over larger dogs for sure. He turns much quicker, tires out much more slowly, and can clear things much higher than I think a larger dog would. PLUS, I can totally pick him up and put him somewhere. I'd be hard pressed to pick up an 80 pounder, even in the event of an emergency.

Knox is my "truck dog" right now, lol, and he fits in pretty well. I just thought he wasn't exactly correct, since his size is the reason he was given to me. He was originally his breeders "keep back" pup, he's got AceofNike on one side, and Zidane on the other. He reminds me quite a bit of Nike.

Different breeders have different priorities. They may have been hoping for a large male or a male with more substance for their breeding program. Just because 24" is a correct size for a male GSD, doesn't mean people don't have personal size preferences. There is a pretty big acceptable size range in Belgians 20 1/2" for the smallest allowable bitches to 28 1/2" for the largest allowable dogs. Their ideal range is the same as GSDs and within that, some people prefer them to the smaller side of the standard and some prefer to the larger side. Jagger is about the same height as Knox and he had good substance for his breed, which is correct per the standard for them too but he would be "too small" for some breeders to want to use. But that's just personal preference.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I don't know the heights on mine
they both weigh about 58lbs
and I'd have to look at their pedigrees to see who all is back there I have a good idea, but I'm terrible with human names, not much better with dogs.
I would love to hear more about your dogs, I have always liked your descriptions of them and of what a German Shepherd Dog is and should be. Can't view videos right now but looking forward to watching the ones you posted earlier today when I am home.

My dog is around 27" at the withers and 82 lbs, his dam was a moderate bitch at 63 - 65 lbs and his full sister is about the same size. A littermate of his is approximately 75 lbs, not sure how tall. His sire was a large dog, although a great deal of that perception might be because of his presence. Powerful male with a broad front, very solid dog.