Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Top Dog

Thanks guys. Glad Dance and I aren't the only ones! I am going to get a panel done on her and see if anything pops up. Otherwise, I don't really know what to do, but hopefully the vet will have some more insight. She doesn't seem to have any food sensitivities or allergies. This has happened on raw, every kibble she's ever been on, etc. And when she's feeling good, she's perfectly healthy in every way. No signs of allergies or sensitivities at all... but I guess it's possible. I am doubtful, though. It just seems so random.

I know I had her on digestive enzymes ("Enzymes Plus" brand) at one point. I don't recall if it actually worked or not... I think her bouts of diarrhea were further in between when she was on that, but it still happened. Might give Prozyme a try, though. I know a few customers at work have said that Prozyme works the best for them as opposed to other brands.

I'm just tired of the inconclusive fecals and being handed Metronidazole constantly. She was even on a low dosage of that every day for a couple months straight last year, and she didn't have a problem while she was on it of course, but it didn't solve anything either since we're still dealing with this a year later. It is so frustrating.

I am grateful though that even though she's a hairy dog, she somehow stays clean. Poor Lucy! If Dance was like her that would mean an awful lot of baths! Or me clipping down most of her tail and bum fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
There are so many things that cause diarrhea. One fave of mine frequently overlooked is too much food in a sitting. Many, many dogs do better with less chow per sitting.

If the dog still acts hungry or drops weight- add a meal later.
I agree that this can definitely be a cause of loose stool, but generally not the explosive random type that seems to plague Dance. When she's feeling good, she's absolutely perfect. And I couldn't feed her less per meal anyway... she hardly eats anything as it is. But I have experienced the too-much-food-in-one-sitting problem before with another dog.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
She was even on a low dosage of that every day for a couple months straight last year, and she didn't have a problem while she was on it of course
That makes me think some sort of overgrowth is even more likely. Metronidazole is an antibiotic. It worked for Logan short-term too, to a point. If an antibiotic helps with diarrhea, odds are it's bacterial somethingorother. Metronidazole is one treatment for clostridium, but Tylan worked better for Logan - by the time we did the PCR the metronidazole was only minimally effective.