Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Little dog, big voice

Default Training agility at home?

So my parents have completely ruled out the one hour drive to the closest agility club, that being said, I'm wondering about training at home. I'm not quite sure how I'd go about it so I was hoping I could have some pointers.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Owned by Norrbottenspets

I'm sure you'll get more experienced people replying to this, but for now I'll throw in my two cents

I started Sunny at home with Backyard agility. We live about an hour away from everywhere that has classes so I didn't want to pay for classes and travel in case she didn't "take" to agility.

First we did jumps, since in AAC they make up the majority of the obstacles in a course. We started with a single jump, than progressed to taking jumps in sequence. I found a few simple course maps online, and other exercises. I set them up in the field and we just ran around for fun.

I got a book on ground work, and we practiced front crosses, rear crosses and such on the flat, then started with throwing in jumps.

After that we started a class in Olds, so the rest was pretty guided by what I learned in class and brought home.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Just try me..

I am not sure if there still are but there were online classes.. The instructor gives exercises and you video them.

My issue is that is how Kaiden and I started. We were out of starters before we took a class. It has created a few issues for us. Not saying its not doable, but its not ideal. Even the best need eyes on the ground at times.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Agility freak!

You could drive like... 30-45 minutes and come train with me. I'm in the process of getting all my contact equipment (a-frame is being made this weekend) so by spring/summer I should have all of my equipment.

Sadly, I don't think I'm much closer than the Kapers field by the time you take the back roads to get to me.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Little dog, big voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
You could drive like... 30-45 minutes and come train with me. I'm in the process of getting all my contact equipment (a-frame is being made this weekend) so by spring/summer I should have all of my equipment.

Sadly, I don't think I'm much closer than the Kapers field by the time you take the back roads to get to me.
My dad actually said he'd be able to drive me out probably, where exactly do you train? I'd really love to at least try it out with Cali, because I'm sure she'd love it once she got the hang of it. My only concern would be her recall, because no matter what we try, the only way she comes is if she's really wound up.. other than that, she'll make you go get her.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.