Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Top Dog

Yes I would like to breed one day. May or may not be breeding Ivan. All depends on when I get a female and if they are a good match.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Obey the Toad.

As a matter of fact, I am planning a litter between Sally and Jack this spring with the hopes of getting the illusive brindle "pitador".... Chazzers get a 10% discount!

Seriously though, no, I don't see myself breeding dogs ever. I won't rule out the possibility of breeding and hand raising birds at some point, but that would not be for a while.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Taxiderpy

There's a good chance we will breed Kaia in a few years, pending health tests (she's co-owned). I already let the breeder know I want a girl, she was like "cool!" because she doesn't like dealing with seasons, lol. Kaia would only be bred once and then spayed so I'd still only have one intact female.

Birth mess and stuff doesn't bug me. I've helped Moxie whelp a couple litters now, and have to say it's not nearly as bad as some of the messes at the hospice I used to work in.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Fishies!

The fish sometimes get together, but I make sure there are a few "wolves" in each tank to take care of that.

After the chickens, and the cow- oxen, an the goats... There are several breeds that I like that could use more moderation and less show/trial chasing breeding, but to actually decide to do it is another matter.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
The fish sometimes get together, but I make sure there are a few "wolves" in each tank to take care of that.
Oh yeah, I forgot about my guppies. The killifish pretty much take care of that, although now they're breeding like crazy.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

The only time I've entertained the thought is pertaining to farm dogs, if the need ever happened to show itself (or the desire, were it strong enough and suitable). I grew up with my aunt breeding ACD's as her working dog of choice on her farm, with her puppies going to close-by farms or staying with her. We really want to have a small farm, after I go do some schooling (zoology and sustainable agriculture are my targets) so we probably still wouldn't have a need to breed because we won't really have enough to actually DO.

That said, it's always been a dream of mine to get into sanctuary work with exotics. If that were to go according to plan (and if it did, it'd be MUCH later in life) then I am sure I'd have no time for dog breeding regardless of purpose.

My Polyvore
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM
*Now with Snark*

Yes, its in the works for this year. Stuff needs to be right though since I will only put in that kind of work with intent to keep one.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Top Dog

I'd like to some day, but only if I end up with a decent sized farm.

If I lived in an apartment or city lot or hobby farm... no probably not. Maybe if I got into Italian Greyhounds and liked them. But not shepherds or presas or LGD's, which are which are the breeds/types I have the most interest in.

I won't breed Roman.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM
overdogged

Like BigPoodlePerson said, I'd co-own a male with someone I trusted who wanted to be able to use him as a stud (provided I had say in the matter), but the thought of owning the female, having the pups, finding homes that I could trust, and being responsible for those pups for the next twelves years? THERE IS NOT ENOUGH XANAX IN THE WORLD.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't ever plan on being a breeder as in establishing my own lines etc. I'm 100% in it for the enjoyment of the individual dog and because I'm addicted to playing with the dogs and love competing as well. And I simply don't know enough about all the lines out there to seriously entertain planning ideal breedings for my dogs.

That said I have a great deal of respect for Mira's breeder and if all goes well will probably be letting her breed Mira in a couple years. Her picture of what a FCR should be aligns pretty well with mine, as does her breeding priorities. I guess you can call it co-breeding or whatever you want. And I would likely be open to doing it again with another dog in the future. Heaven knows I end up putting in the training, time, and money to have health-tested, titled dogs regardless of breedability (/me points to the neutered K and W of unknown pedigree).

Baby Mira goes grasshopper-hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I'll always be bitter about not being able to keep one.
Out of curiosity - why couldn't you keep one?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13