Do you ever plan on breeding?

Pops2

Most definitely not.

I can't even see myself adopting/buying a puppy, let alone CREATING A WHOLE LITTER OF THEM. Puppies are wonderful when they belong to someone else (unlike children, who are not wonderful in any way), but I don't want to deal with them myself.
disagree. circle gets the square

cliffdog

I don't think I will breed... If I do, I'll be keeping all of the pups for myself, or possibly giving them to someone I trust to work them hard and take good care of them. I can see myself possibly breeding a litter of APBTs some time in the far, far future.

ETA: It's hard to find Bull Lurchers in my area and I'm of the opinion that they are the absolute best dogs for hunting coyotes. If I were to be in possession of an APBT who had proven to be a good hunting dog, I wouldn't be opposed to crossing it to a (likewise proven) sighthound, but again, I'd want all of the pups with the exception of the other owner's picks. That way I could see for myself which pups made the cut as adults, and spay/neuter those that did not and find them homes.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Possibly, in the far future. I've certainly thought about it. It would definitely be on a very small scale, though.
My biggest concern is getting too attached. As I learned at 10 years old sending Millie's siblings to their new homes, it's very hard to let the puppies go. I also could never breed enough that I'd have to rehome retired breeding dogs to make room for younger ones.
When I have the room, the money, the right dog of the right breed with excellent genetic health, then I'll start thinking more seriously.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I could see myself eventually fostering a pregnant female. I think the hardest thing for me would be placing the puppies. I can be kind of a control freak and that is something I would obviously have to dial back.

I have seen a horse give birth and have been involved in the raising of foals, and would not mind.breeding a mare at some point or even leasing a nice mare to breed and keeping the baby. However, I don't believe in breeding things just to breed them, so it would have to be with a specific purpose in mind.

BostonBanker

No plans to ever breed. I have the greatest respect for those who do it well, but it isn't something that has ever appealed to me. Like others have said here, and I've heard elsewhere, I have times where I think I would love nothing more than to breed Meg (if she weren't spayed already), and Gusto even more so, because they are such spectacular dogs who have attributes many people look for. But then I remind myself that there are countless more like them out there, and they will find their way to me when I am ready for another.

Michiyo-Fir

If I bred a litter, I would be inclined to keep all of them too... Or I'd feel pretty good about letting some of them go to Chazzers or people I know well on other forums but beyond that, the idea makes me a little uneasy.

Toller_08

...but I want a Dance puppy :(
Sorry. :-(

I just can't justify breeding a dog that's taken such an unbelievable amount of work to get her semi comfortable around people. I haven't been able to accomplish pretty much anything I'd hoped for with her just because of her weirdness with people. There are enough spooky Tollers out there and I would feel awful if I contributed to the breed by potentially creating more sketchy dogs. Even if they would've been the most hilarious, cutest puppies in the world! It might have been different if her breeder and I actually were able to talk on a regular basis, but we don't. And even if we did, breeding Dance would've been her decision as I still would think it was not the best idea to breed her. She's awesome in a lot ways, but there are much nicer, more correct Tollers than her out there who should be contributing to the breed.

That said, Dance does have a full older brother out your way that is supposedly very nice (I've never met him) and I know he's sired a couple litters. The way I've heard him described, he sounds a lot like Dance... except he's never had a people issue. :)

Grab

No, no plans on breeding. I have little interest in in competing in conformation. And while that is not the end all, be all, it is kind of what you do in Chows. I'd clone my Goosey in a second though.

However, I discovered after I adopted him that Nog's former owner bred him before giving him away. (a puppy showed up on Craigslist) So while having nothing to do with me, my dog did contribute to the pet overpopulation problem. Thanks BYB former owners.

So, here's a What Not To Do and a poor quality picture of Nog's crossbreed (although adorable) puppy:rolleyes:

Jynx

also no plans on ever breeding, it's easier to just buy or rescue what I want, don't have the heartache and worry over having a pregnant dog that may end up with problems.

I think about it. Right now though, no. As it is something I don't feel ready for. In the future, I might, and would like to. It would just depend on how things went down as well. As I'm not sure if there is even a breed I really plan to get into. As there are a good few I would like to experience.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
No intentions at this point in time.

That being said, Rocket is still intact. After he finishes in UKC, the three amigos will be split up. Most likely. Probably.

I can't make my mind up. I've gotten his breeder's blessing, but if I can train him successfully with them, then they can stay. Otherwise, it's adios, amigos.

Members online

No members online now.