Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Any tofu eaters?

Since it's way cheaper than meat I'd like to give tofu the good 'ol college try.

I've had gooood tofu (tried at a restaurant) and baaaaad tofu (attempt to make it myself...this was in middle school).

Any tips on how to season it and cook it correctly so that it doesn't taste like...well, tofu?

TIA

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Tofu doesn't have a taste, it pulls a taste from whatever it is cooked with/seasoned in. I like just frying it with soy sauce and green onions, but there are tons of ways of making it . I suggest a medium or firm, not much of a fan of softer tofu.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Make sure you get the right kind of tofu. Silken tofu has a custard-ish texture and is often used to make sauces or smoothies creamy without adding dairy. Regular tofu (usually firm or extra firm) is the kind you typically think of in stir fry or similar dishes.

There are some different ways you can change the texture. One way is pressing it. Put a small towel on a plate, put your tofu on top of that, put another towel on top of the tofu, and then put another plate (optionally with something kind of heavy on it) on top of the whole thing. This will squeeze out moisture and make it firmer. You can also freeze it and thaw it before cooking. I think these methods are supposed to also make it easier to soak up the flavor of whatever sauces and spices you're cooking in.

I usually toss it in a frying pan with vegetables, sauce, spices, etc. You can grill it, although I've never tried that before. I'm also a fan of baking it...I press the tofu, cut it up into small cubes, and then cover the cubes with shake n bake. When they're done baking, I eat them with unsweetened applesauce.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM
*Now with Snark*

I find that I prefer my tofu firm - not artificially flavored- and in dishes with other meats like eggs, sausage, and by itself in something strong tasting like curry. I also like tofu on salad sliced much in the same way that you would eggs for a salad.

Also one of my favorite dishes is tofu with bacon. Yeah, I know it's not vegan/vegetarian but bacon and tofu is just awesome.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

I like cutting it into small cubes and cooking in a pan with some sesame oil and seeds until the outsides are brown/crunchy.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I tried some when I thought I might have been allergic to chicken and that's what was making me sick all the time. I did the freeze-then-thaw method, it's supposed to give it a texture sorta like meat. It was okay, nothing special, but I still got sick after eating it... so I never bought more and tried it again.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

I love PF Changs tofu lettuce wraps. I have been planning to try this recipe at home: http://hungryhungryveganos.wordpress...ver-pf-changs/ but haven't gotten around to it so I can't vouch for it just yet but I am pretty good at picking recipes. Never made one I didn't like! lol

Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Walks into Mordor

I love tofu. LOVE it. To me, it does have a definite taste. Very light and creamy. I agree with everyone else as to cooking methods. Stir-fried, pressed, it's all good. It's also great when diced into small pieces and served in a soup.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Soup, stir fry veggies, pan fried on the side.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

I actually think that tofu has a very "tofu" taste. I've not had a single tofu dish where the tofu tasted like that of which it was cooked with.

I'm glad y'all like tofu because that means I don't have to eat it. I'd be an anorexic again before eating that jiggly weird-textured lump.