Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Felurian

I only frustrate myself if I try to work in two dimensions.

For quite awhile I made jewelry, mainly small faces, beaded and decorated with semi-precious stones or wee, tiny little ornamentations I made from Fimo. I've loved the Deco and Art Nouveau style since I was a child and most of the pieces have that influence. I hand cast the faces, clean and fire them, then apply the colors in layers to build up the complexion I want each one to have. I use special chalks to add "make up" then indulge myself painting the features. The eyes take several layers to get the right depth, complete with the striations in the irids. I love finishing the eyes in a lush fringe of lashes using a brush with only a few very long, thin strands. The lips also take several layers.

After the face is dry and sprayed with a good fixative I use a clear gloss liquid sealer over the eyes to bring them to 'life.'

Then, an only then, do my little ladies tell me what their costume is to be . . . some are quite lavishly surrounded by intricate beading, Austrian crystals or other ornate acoutrements; others are more subdued, some are quietly elegant, and every now and then one turns out to be a complete fantasy. One of my favorites wears overpainted jaguar "make up" and is surrounded by fiery orangey-red and dark chartreause bugle beads, gold seed beads and a fringe of dark green feathering.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Felurian

Oh, I remembered what I wanted to tell you, Cyrille! What, I believe, makes your work - and SMkie's (you should look at her downloads in the threads on this forum!) so outstanding, moreso even than your amazing techniques and the artistic skills the two of you have developed to such a high degree, is your ability to really See what you are depicting. You are observing so much more than the average person ever really looks at; you note the details and also the heart of your subject - which is what separates a work of art from a mere rendering, whether it be an amazingly lifelike picture or one that is the heart of the artist interpreting what he or she sees with the artists' eye.

I can't put what I see onto canvas with paint and pencil, so I must resort to mere words.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Oh Renee, I am not even close to this man's ability. I do have good strong skills with a pencil but in painting i am basically a newbie. I have learned so much from this post that I am going to try exactly what he said to do. I know that the human eye sees magenta, cyan and yellow because of the three nerves that vibrate. I know that we can only see 1 tenth of the spectrum that is really there. If there is a heaven for me, I want two things more than anything else, to be with the ones I love and to see the other 90 percent. Wouldn't that be awesome? Could you tell me please exactly (i paint in acrylic) what red ..crimson for example,and the other three that you use, or does it make a difference? A humble student am I. Thank you again....you are going to make me work much harder than i did before I saw your work!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Island dweller

Renee, that is exactly what I said to Smkie in a pm. That she sees the world differently than I do. She sees colours and shapes in a way that I can't possibly imagine. Of course, I see copy-right laws very clearly as well. LOL I'm so funny.

I'm really not an artist.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Felurian

Smkie sees to the heart of what is. She also sees the whimsy and delight in everyday events. Things that aren't events to other eyes, like a boney hound scratchin' fleas, she sees and brings them to our attention with her deft hands and reminds us of the importance of every spontaneous moment. And she sees things in her world of imagination and can translate them for the joy and edification of the rest of us mortals. I imagine Dali would love her work.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Island dweller

I still think she sees colours and shapes differently :P

I love those little moments. Like the old granny on the porch swing. I love those pictures. (I try photography quite regularly).
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Felurian

Oh, she must see the colors and shapes differently. I can only think Smkie sees the essential, elemental shapes, stripped of all the complications and distractions. I think all truly gifted artists must be able to do this.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Island dweller

Yeah. I can't even imagine. Well, I can imagine but I can't 'see' it like she does (you do, smkie)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

humble humble wag wag i love art..and colour, it is my happy place.. Like looking at clouds or finding four leaf clovers.seeing something in the grain of wood... I have no idea what other people see. I have always drawn, my mom has a very big scrap book. I started when I was two.I drew a woman with breasts. The two year old perspective. I could never be anything else. IT's my life, Not a rich one by any means, but I just don't care anymore. Im happy, my art is happy.If I make other people happy (isn't happy a good word) then that is alllll the better. That is my whole goal in life. I am painting rabbit rocks tonight.I need some market money. I am teaching Aaron's 18 year old girlfriend how to paint ladybugs. She will take over my daughter's place at the farmer's market. It is a little trade for her, but she will always have a way to make some money on her own. when my daughter comes back I am going to teach her to make silver rings with simple settings. How far she takes it after that will be up to her, she will then have a way to make extra household money and she is going to need it. Teenagers and young adults are having a very hard time in the work market right now. Jobs that use to be standard teen employment are now filled by older citizens. So this has been our family life. Aaron has helped sell since he was a little guy of 7 years old. Bronki always helped load up..picked out his bandana, oversaw the trips to the car. happy happy dog The kids sell more than I do. It is best if I just leave the market, take the dogs to the dog park, pick out next weeks rocks, and we all go home a little richer. i will be a factory for the next month. I hope to get enough done to run two markets and maybe I can get caught up. Spring is my hot season. I do frogs, turtles, fish, cheshire cats.....dogs are a hard thing to do with a rock, but I have made one doberman and a boston bull dog that was life size. When different family members go with me to the rock place, it is hot and they are heavy....i usually take someone with me,,,anyway they start to see a turtle rock there, and is this a good rabbit? I get to see them begin to "see" the way i do. One lady at the scout meeting brought me a very small rock that fit in the palm of her hand, and she said "this is a cat isn't it?" I painted it just like her cat..we saw the same thing and it was fun for me. MY biggest seller,I can't keep any in stock, are lizards. The first one i saw was my best. It was a missouri collared lizard, the ridge of the rock was exactly that, all the ridges where the legs and tail were perfect. Even had an little hole the perfect shape of the eye. That was the one i kept for myself. I use to take it to market to show children..and my daughter accidently sold it...When i found out i told her to not expect it in the will then because the artwork is all i have to leave them.she felt so bad, she's really good at market and i have grown to appriciate her efforts there....children like to watch..if i stay i usually rough some stuff out..i sell more when i do.. and i have had an apprientice (SP?) or two. My favorite was a little Amish girl i taught brush work to every sat morning for a whole season. I have the rock she painted for me, it is a favorite.
If I get some good rocks i will post them for just for fun. I have a fish that I found walking at the Shawnee dog park. That one I am not taking out of the house..thought I have considered taking to a gallery, it is the same on both sides so I could paint it fully deminsional. I swore last season that I was never painting another rock again, ever. Now I am enjoying it after so many hard dog portraits. The portraits are hard for me. I am not a fast learner, but I am steady. I try so hard to always remember, the lyfe so short, the craft so long to learn. My momma says I am a strange child, but she wouldn't change a hair on my head. She wrote in a letter to my grandmother when I was small. IT feels so good to meet people like you, u make me feel like what I have to offer others is of some value. That is a good thing to feel i think
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I forgot to put paragraphs in, and I know I am a terrible writer, im sorry for that..i get in a hurry trying to follow my thought thru..that is the art of a writer and I don't have it! your art Seje, your medium of words. Renee too, how i do enjoy your posts. Eveybody got some art in there soul,don't you think? that's our expression! ME thinks! mary said so..she knows special things.