Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Obey the Toad.

Default My Uncle Died Friday.

Yesterday morning when I woke up DH told me that my dad had called and my uncle had been found dead. He was at a conference for work in Indianapolis and had started not feeling well. The EMTs were called but my uncle refused treatment a wanted to go back to the conference. Not long after the ambulance left my uncle excused himself to go to the restroom, and when he didn't return they went looking for him and found him unresponsive in the bathroom. They tried to revive him but he was gone.

I am very worried about my dad. He has been unemployed for a couple of years now and has been essentially been supported by my uncle. My uncle didn't have dad on the bank accounts so he has no access to money to even pay bills. Their rent is $800 and due in ten days.

To complicate matter, my uncle was a hoarder. He has 3 rooms and a bathroom in that house piled with random stuff. We were going through stuff last night and found receipts from 1998. He also kept every shopping list he ever wrote. He kept old keys, batteries, pens (tons of pens), etc.

I don't know where dad is going to go. He can't drive after dark because he has a cataract in one eye that he can't afford to have fixed.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Love my pets

I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle. I'll send vibes that things turn around for your Dad.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 AM
swimming upstream

I'm so sorry. It sounds like a difficult situation--I hope things work out ok for your Dad.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Mutts to you

So sorry... I hope things work out for your dad. Are there any other relatives? Do you know if your uncle had a will? If your dad is the only next of kin, maybe you can find a lawyer (pro bono) who could get the funds released.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Obey the Toad.

My uncle has an adopted son. Unfortunately my uncle refused to talk about end of issues, so we have no idea if there is a will. We are sifting through all of my uncles piles of stuff to try to find something.

My dad has a sister about 2 hours away and I am gently trying to nudge him in that direction. The thing is that I have not lived with my dad since I was like, 2 years old, my parents divorced when I was small. Dad is a functioning alcoholic and we have a small house. I wouldn't let him be out on the street, but I just don't think it would work at all for him to be here.

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Felurian

Having to untangle so many skeins while grieving is going to be taxing. So many worries amidst sorrow. I am sorry you and your family are having to make your way through this.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Gosh, I am SO SO SO sorry to hear about your uncle.
I just went through something similar to this with my own father. I wish I had a way to help you! I know how stressful it is to watch your dad go through this.

My Polyvore
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry. Does anybody know what caused his death? Those unexpected and sudden deaths are really hard on loved ones.

And I'm sorry there's such a complicated mess to go through to find out if there's any help for your Dad. So much on the family's plate along with the grief and shock is going to be a struggle for a while. I hope peace and order is found before too long. I'm very, very sorry.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I'm so sorry. Does anybody know what caused his death? Those unexpected and sudden deaths are really hard on loved ones.

And I'm sorry there's such a complicated mess to go through to find out if there's any help for your Dad. So much on the family's plate along with the grief and shock is going to be a struggle for a while. I hope peace and order is found before too long. I'm very, very sorry.
It was a heart attack. He did suffer from diabetes and my dad said he had been binging on sweets lately--I found tons of candy wrappers in the trash can in his room. There is a history of heart disease in the family--my grandpa had 2 heart attacks and was killed by the second one and my grandma had a couple heart attacks and angina. Dad said that lately he had been having a hard time walking across t house without being out of breath.

I just can't believe he refused treatment-he had health insurance.

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Aww...that is so sad. I wonder why he refused treatment. Maybe he was just tired of it all. Poor man...
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson