Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Simon might have PTSD

My Hero, Simon, is having major trouble, which is major trouble for me. In Oct of 2011, we in the NE (specifically CT) were hit with a giant winter storm which knocked out power to our area, and home for 12 days. We stayed with a generator...5 little kids mind you- cooking in a fireplace the whole time, too! Since the first night, Simon has changed, as we all have, but he has never returned to the way it was. He has liquid poop all the time, and cannot go for more than 6 hrs without eating and wakes me every night at midnight,. 1a, 2a, 3a etc to go outside to pee, or sometimes poop. During the day, he pees 2x more often that before the storm. I am beyond exhausted and if its not him waking me, its my 1 yr old boy waking me!I dont know what to do. I ctcd the vet, because he does have Lymes, and thought its flaring up again, so we gave him some antibiotics...no change in his behavior. He is very much alert, active, for a St Bernard, but can't seem to return to normal.
He eats now 4x a day, and I try to keep it on a constant schedule, but this wanting food at 1,2,3 am is getting out of hand. And if he doesnt eat, he throws up. he eats 2 c rice with 1c roasted pork as each meal. I tried to increase his intake, but he still wants to eat at crazy times.
He is gluten intollerant, and giving him store bought food is very very bad! It makes him more crazy than he is now. Please help me figure this out! I need my doggy back to normal nad NEED sleepl help!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Felurian

You might try using Rescue Remedy while you're working on this. It sounds like he's going to need to gradually be coaxed back to normalcy and confidence.

Oh, and you might look into grain free foods to fill in those weird eating times in the meantime. He might even find it reassuring if there is always a little food in his bowl.

We've got some great trainers here who will give you good, more in-depth and directed advice

Building confidence takes time, and one excellent way to do it is to go back to basics, things he knows and will do and be successful at -- earning praise, reassurance and rewards.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Taxiderpy

Depending what his other allergies may be, a lot of the Diamond Naturals and Taste of the Wild line are gluten free. One of mine can't have gluten (I'm celiac too) and when we can't do home cooked he gets TOTW High Prairie or Diamond Beef and Rice. Maybe having some of that available at night so he doesn't throw up from the empty stomach? That won't help the bathroom breaks though.

Has he been to the vet for this? Some of the symptoms almost sound like a parasite, like giardia or coccidia. Dogs can harbor them in their bodies and then experience a bad flare up when they're under stress. Giardia is really hard to detect with a test because it has to be at a specific stage in their life cycle, and if I remember right Panacur is the best wormer/treatment for it. Check with your vet about that though.

Loose stools can be caused by over eating. You might cut back on how much regular food he's getting and substitute part of it with canned pumpkin to help get his gut back on track. Probiotics might be a good idea too. One thing I'll give my dogs (and myself) if they have an upset stomach is food grade diatomacious earth (DO NOT use the stuff from pool supply stores). It comes in a white powder which you mix with wet food (don't breath the dust, it's fine eaten wet but will irritate your lungs). The DE absorbs toxins, and is supposed to kill worms. Personally I find it very soothing when my stomach is crampy, as do my kids. It also helps my dogs' stool even out to normal if it's loose.

The Rescue Remedy for anxiety is a great idea.
http://www.bachflower.com/Rescue_Remedy.htm

If you can get it, the Five Flower Formula is the same formula but their's seems to be a bit more potent than the Bach's brand.http://www.fesflowers.com/five_flower_formula.htm

It's safe for people and pets (one of the few anxiety things pregnant women can take).

Edit: If he's been on antibiotics recently or regularly for the lymes, that can definitely disrupt things in his gut and let stuff like giardia get a better foothold. Probiotics would definitely be a good supportive thing to put in his system at this point if you don't already do it.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 AM
*Now with Snark*

What tests have your vet run to try to get this stool/bladder control issue under control? Has he been tested for giardia? Bladder infection? parasites? anything?

Last edited by Kat09Tails; 01-08-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Puppy Dog

thanks for the responses. I happen to have bach's rescue remedy here! I will start that, and get some gluten free good dog food for him, We used to do Timberwolf, he loved it, but it was super expensive! I just as well drop the rice all together and feed him straight roasted pork. (we love it, too)
The vet said that his tummy is just super sensitive. But we need to go back. Prior to the storm, his poop was always super loose on rice and pork. It was a war zone here for a very long time, we are still trying to clean up- and our yard is a disaster. Maybe the state the yard is in is stressing him out.
I'm going to ring the vet this week and get him in there.
thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Puppy Dog

oh, and he is super lean...for a big boy- the vet is pleased with his weight, so I can't say he is over eating, to the point of getting fat. I feel like I am not feeding him enough. He's almost 5 yrs and about 175-180lbs.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 AM
*Now with Snark*

Wait... wait wait wait.... cooked pork meat (with no bone) with rice is his normal food? or just a once in awhile thing? How long has this been his diet?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Puppy Dog

its a pork shoulder, bone in that we slow roast for about 8-10 hrs. No salt, no seasoning of any kind. We actually started it when there was a recall on timberwolf, now that I remember. He's been on it for ever it seems. The vet knows about it, too. Its never been a problem, he would eat it 3x a day, poop on regular intervals, and sleep all night long.
This all started after the storm.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Puppy Dog

is it a bad thing? you have me worried now.
We are looking into the taste of the wild bagged food and slowly introduce it into his diet.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon'smom View Post
its a pork shoulder, bone in that we slow roast for about 8-10 hrs. No salt, no seasoning of any kind. We actually started it when there was a recall on timberwolf, now that I remember. He's been on it for ever it seems. The vet knows about it, too. Its never been a problem, he would eat it 3x a day, poop on regular intervals, and sleep all night long.
This all started after the storm.
Step 1 is getting your dog back on a balanced diet. It doesn't have to be kibble but his odds are diet has been lacking calcium, fats, and essential nutrients for a long time if this is what he has been eating for months. Even on a raw diet I would expect a dog to be eating bone (not cooked bone), meat, and innards. On a balanced cooked diet I would expect to see meat, calcium, organs, veggies, fish oil, and probiotics. I would also expect to see a whole lot more diet variation. Originally when you posted I thought you were feeding pork/rice as a kind of bland diet which is something that is very short term. Your dog acting starving all the time probably is because of the nutrient issues - he's probably malnourished. It can make a dog do funny things.

The storm odds are has nothing to do with what you are seeing. PTSD is from a severe stress event. Getting hit by a car is a severe dog stess event, getting lost for some dogs is a severe stress event... being in the house during a power outage probably isn't a severe stress event. I know for the two weeks we lost power a few years ago my dogs were never happier.

Please, please, please stop this diet.

P.S. If your vet has known about this diet for months I would also suggest a new vet. Also I would have them check your dog's blood calcium levels to make sure he doesn't have hypoparathyroidism which would account for all the peeing.

Last edited by Kat09Tails; 01-08-2012 at 07:28 AM.