Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm All Ears

Hmmm... I have absolutely zero interest in competitive obedience but your use of the target for Didgie to pivot on has given me some ideas to maybe help Mia's insistence that sit is to be facing me instead of facing the obstacles in agility.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 AM
orange iguanas.

I feel like a lazy bum because I haven't touched the clicker in moooooonths. Good God I don't even know if I know where it is anymore! Juno would probably appreciate it though if I did SOME sort of training with her.

I think last time we worked on anything, I was trying to get her to target with her back feet. And she just would NOT get it. Like, getting her to even put her back feet on something was a huge hassle.... she'd just step around it. Even if it was a giant piece of cardboard.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Hmmm... I have absolutely zero interest in competitive obedience but your use of the target for Didgie to pivot on has given me some ideas to maybe help Mia's insistence that sit is to be facing me instead of facing the obstacles in agility.
Check out Trkman's Heel is Just Another Trick DVD. She uses the pedestal to teach pivots and heel. It's awesome.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Here's my first (well, second, but it has been a while) session working to shape a solid hold with Kimma:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=104CWpD5PNg
Looking great!!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Check out Trkman's Heel is Just Another Trick DVD. She uses the pedestal to teach pivots and heel. It's awesome.
This is how I taught Payton and am trying to clean up Auggie's by re-training. I didn't get the DVD but there are several people on YouTube who show the step-by-step including one of Sylvia's students IIRC. Tab-I-forget-the-numbers also has a pivot video and I think kikopup does too.
I really like it for Payton but beware, people who think you should teach heel with collar corrections are going to think you're an idiot. My mom was watching me work through it with Payton and said "I have no idea how this is supposed to turn into heel later." Two days later I showed her how. Now she's a believer. ;P

I really need to get some heeling video of Payton to prove he CAN do it since his rally foray was a flop. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

I've been SOOO bad with trick training. I mean we do the ones he knows a few times each day usually, since I generally don't give him a treat for "free" lol. But in terms of shaping new things and teaching new tricks? Yeah, trying to get back into it! He knows so many, I sometimes forget or can't think of anything new to teach him.

Anywho,

We've been struggling with cross paws for a while now. He can do it with a target but just does NOT get it at ALL without a target.

This was a while back (and he had a very bad hair cut, and I sound kind of agitated but I really wasn't, LOL). This was him giving me attitude towards the end of a training session, I thought it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOGABQk8h6E (how do you get this embeded?)

But I just can't get away from using a target to do the cross, and every time I try to gradually take it away... the farther it gets, he just stops doing it.

He's a champ at doing backwards circles around my legs. He LOVES doing this. But he goes around about 4x and then expects his treat, so I want to get him doing it a few more times. He's gotten faster at it too which is so awesome!

I also really want to teach him to roll himself in a blanket. We just started a bit on this tonight and he's good at grabbing the end of the blanket with his mouth, but only while standing up and not laying down. Hopefully I can just tune this up later since he already knows roll over. I'll probably take some video on Monday.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Twin 2

Okay!

Start of a down in motion

Mat work progress, with ball, dropped food and building duration

And last but not least some pivot work! This is about the 2nd day we've worked on it

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

HAHAHA I love Jackson's "attitude!" Cracks me up

Awwww Didgie is looking so good! What a smart girl

Here's our second Hold session. We're getting there LOL. I definitely think this method will work better than what I was doing before.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qFSlhV15Fc

I still don't know how to embed...

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 20 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post

I still don't know how to embed...
Next to the thumbs up and thumbs down is the Add To button and next to that is the Share button. Click that and you should get the option to embed, click on that and then copy the link it gives you. Then just paste that alone and you've got an embedded video!

And I love Kimma's hold! Going super well it looks like! I still don't have a hold on any of my dogs.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm All Ears

I'll have to get some videos of Mia. My trainer keeps telling me to bring a camera to class to get another perspective on things. My dog looks so spastic compared to y'alls.