Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I'm reviving this from it's death bed! I need motivation to keep up training.

Updates everyone!

Today I started mat work with both Didgie and Traveler. Didgie since she recently learned down offered it pretty fast on the mat. Traveler though, well dogs that do a lot of shaping I don't think ever expect what you want to be sit still and now move. He pretty much offered everything he could think of on the mat or with the mat before finally sitting.

I have a short video of Didgie a few minutes into our first session

Mat Work (Didgie)
I'm still "new" in the world of dog training, so can you explain to me what the purpose of mat work is? Looks interesting!

As for me, I have just recently started clicker training, and sweet Jesus what is this magic. Maggie LOVES it and I LOVE it and things are going so much faster and more precise and clickers are witchcraft.

She's just perfected "bow," so we're beginning work on "back up." She picked it up fast and is going a few steps back pretty reliably. I'm a total nOOb to clicker training, so it's probably taking us a bit longer than all you super fancy experienced folk, but I'm getting the hang of it quickly!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Behavior Nerd

We got our first dog tricks performance gig so we're adding new tricks left and right here! Glad you revived the thread!

A selection of the current tricks (Z, Kes, Snipe):
http://youtu.be/XQrMga5rHxw

Kes doing his packing trick at the DockDogs Eastern Regional "DockDogs Has Talent" competition (after all of 5 training sessions - I'm a baaaad procrastinator):
http://youtu.be/XapO1Q332mE

Aeri's new "act", needs polishing still:
http://youtu.be/0X7lM9Qq1Xw

Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm All Ears

Today when it wasn't my turn in agility I really inadvertently taught Summer how to roll a giant bottle across the ground. My trainer was using it for the later class but it was right next to us and summer kept trying to target it so I clicked and really quickly she was getting on her back feet and rolling it with her front a couple feet.

I love it when dogs come up with their own tricks.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Behavior Nerd

Finally! Snipe's footstall training vid is up!

http://youtu.be/-AEV7C8iVhE

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I'm still "new" in the world of dog training, so can you explain to me what the purpose of mat work is? Looks interesting!

As for me, I have just recently started clicker training, and sweet Jesus what is this magic. Maggie LOVES it and I LOVE it and things are going so much faster and more precise and clickers are witchcraft.

She's just perfected "bow," so we're beginning work on "back up." She picked it up fast and is going a few steps back pretty reliably. I'm a total nOOb to clicker training, so it's probably taking us a bit longer than all you super fancy experienced folk, but I'm getting the hang of it quickly!
That's awesome you started marker training!! It's so fun especially when the dogs start catching on. You need to get some videos!

My goal for mat training is to work on having a place they can't leave until released, something I can take with me to trials and places and have them hold a stay on it but with looser requirements (you can be relaxed and shift around, just don't leave the mat). A place to calm down and relax and to also build up on duration stays. Kinda like crate work but without the crate.

I'm sure there are more professional reasons for it, but that's my main goal so far!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Watching Erin's video has made me want to start training again as well. Possibly reviving the Click It fb group I hade.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I've got to start trick training again... I just started working on a nice, solid "hold" with Kimma to get her ready for formal retrieves. She will DO the retrieve, but I inadvertently taught her to drop the object at my feet rather than wait long enough for me to take it from her when I feel like. So I got PART of the retrieve down, but not all the way. I also want her to be able to hold whatever I ask, so that will hopefully come about, too

I would also LOVE to teach her the handstand! Anyone have any tips for getting started? She has nice rear end awareness, and backs up just fine on command (including backing up on to stairs/boxes, etc.). But for some reason she just won't put her back feet on a wall LOL.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm All Ears

All our training right now is boring. Stays, crate games, getting Summer to play (mouth the toy right now), and getting Mia to sit at my side instead of always turning to face me.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Oh! Laurelin! I thought of you today - Kimma actually played with a toy in a random field! It was a miracle. So much so that I had to take a video of it:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=905497708419

Of course, she lost interest in it pretty soon after I started recording

And she still wants to come back for a food reward after interacting with the toy.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

YAY I'm so glad this thread is revived!

We should ask a mod if we can move this into the photo section so that we can embed videos. I mean, I know it's not pictures but I really like having the ability to watch videos in thread. Does anyone care? Yay, nay, indifferent?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013