Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Video from tonight's handstand training session. We stopped working on this for awhile, but I decided to see where she was at tonight. She knows what I want her to do, but I really think she's going to have a hard time producing a handstand for any length of time because of her body shape. I could be wrong though, so we will keep working on it!

http://youtu.be/WaA-JqCchyk

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
So... Trainer bosslady wanted a picture of Zuma in heel position next to a rally sign for her website.. easy enough right? Well it would've been easy if hadn't been working so hard with Zuma on lifting that back leg next to different objects pretending she's peeing like a boy on them
Think that's bad? Pig has been obsessed with rear-foot targeting lately. Today I took her to my neighbour's place when I went over to work their Springer. The two of them were playing together and he had a ball that she wanted. Pig ended up putting both of her back legs on his shoulder (then neck and eventually head as he kept moving). Made me wish I had a functioning camera.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Let it be

I got Bandit to work under a more intense distraction last night. I got my boyfriend to jump up and down in front of Bandit while walking, run away from us, run past us and he did not waver in his loose leash walk. So proud!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Our progress so far with Perch. I am having him "sit" now, and I put that in quotations because he can't actually sit ON anything. He just kind of has to sit on the air. And I'm also working on taking my foot away from the base so that he has to balance completely on his own. If you just want to see the end result, skip to 4:18 and watch from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkyoR...QBk_kWP9QJXv8y
Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Let it be

So I am wondering about something and would love some advice.

I usually bring my clicker and lots of treats out on a walk with Bandit. I forgot both today and jsut did the "be a tree/turn around and walk the other way" method and rewarding him for a loose lead by letting him go sniff. I don't care if he sniffs or doesn't stay glued to my side I just don't want him to pull.

So here was my thought. Can I just click + treat for generally walking near me every now and again because he gets the basic idea. Then when he occasionally puts pressure on the lead to sniff something super distracting just click + treat him for coming back? I feel like I am giving TOO many click + treats on his walks as he generally keeps a loose lead unless he catches wiff of something really interesting.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
So here was my thought. Can I just click + treat for generally walking near me every now and again because he gets the basic idea. Then when he occasionally puts pressure on the lead to sniff something super distracting just click + treat him for coming back? I feel like I am giving TOO many click + treats on his walks as he generally keeps a loose lead unless he catches wiff of something really interesting.
I use this method a lot. I don't know if it's right exactly but so far Mu has maintained her LLW skills with it. If I reward her too much she doesn't do anything BUT stare at me the entire time lol. So unless we're passing people or dogs I tend to just reward her occasionally - and I try to do it when she's not looking at me but also not pulling.

Also you can click him for coming back to you and reward him with the sniff. So he strains toward the end of the leash, you stop, when he looks at you or comes back you click and then let him go sniff whatever it is.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Decided to teach Payton cop-cop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClzJZykWUU

Watch Payton attempt his pivot because surely that will make me give him cookies right?? This has become part of his trick arsenal. "I want that! Let me sit! No? Down! No? LOOK WHAT I CAN DO *pivot*" And it makes me laugh every single time... I probably shouldn't laugh but it's so funny...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

Oh my goodness Payton is cute. I've always wondered about shaping and the clever placement of treats (love that phrase by the way). Is it still considered free shaping?? I don't think it's luring, it's more like setting the dog up to succeed right away.

His pivot is AWESOME. Mu does the same thing and I laugh at her too.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
So I am wondering about something and would love some advice.

I usually bring my clicker and lots of treats out on a walk with Bandit. I forgot both today and jsut did the "be a tree/turn around and walk the other way" method and rewarding him for a loose lead by letting him go sniff. I don't care if he sniffs or doesn't stay glued to my side I just don't want him to pull.

Yes! If he already generally walks loosely then just reward periodically for being good. I would actively click and treat for loose lead if you are going by something he'll generally pull towards, like a dog or person or small furry critter, etc. If he pulls towards something I would stand still but would not click and treat for coming back, when he comes back I would just immediately release him to go sniff it. The sniffing will be the reward. The reason for that is I wouldn't want to train a behavior chain of pull, come back, get treat. Pull, come back, get treat. You can do that a bit at first so the dog gets where he needs to be to get the treat, but you quickly want to start rewarding for duration, the dog must take several loose steps to earn the reward, and then more steps, and more steps, etc. It's like dogs who pop out of sits. Their owners tell them to sit again and reward them for listening right away. But then the dog learns that if he's been waiting longer than he wants for a treat he just has to pop up and be told to sit again to get another treat right away, they don't have to wait for any length of time. If it's something you don't want to let the dog sniff (so you can't use sniffing as a reward) I would stand until the leash is loose, then encourage the dog to move on with you and THEN reward him after you've both moved beyond the temptation. That way he gets rewarded for walking with you several paces, not for pulling then loosening the leash.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Let it be

That's what I've been doing the last few days and its wor king so well.