Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Default Deinstalling a smoke detector?

So. Smoke Detectors aparently are now a must in my state. They installed my complimentary smoke detector on friday and its driving me INSANE. First of, the smarty pants installed the thing directly (and I mean directly) OVER MY BED. (They also walked all over my bed with their nasty socks - bleck)
Well. It blinks. And it blinks ALL.NIGHT.LONG. Which is annoying - but now it went off three times last night. THREE times. OVER MY BED. *sigh* so now I have come to the conclusion, it needs to be shut off, or just deactivated or something. Me and smoke detector will not become friends. -.-
The last time I tried to deinstall one, I made it angry, so this time I would prefer not doing so. =/ So, how do I save my sanity and make it silent, forever?

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Jerk.

If it is a battery powered smokey. Reach up, grab it, and twist left to remove. Then remove the mounting plate and reinstall in the corner 24" from the walls.

If it is a line voltage with battery backup smokey request the landlord move it to a corner 24" from either wall. Or remove it, reach up, twist and pull,. unclip it from the power connector, place it in a closet with the battery removed, and install a battery powered unit in a corner 24" from either wall.

Now these instructables are for US and Canadidian smoke detectors, as a German subject your mileage may vary.

ETA: Place a piece of black tape over the LED and wrap the detector in plastic wrap. Also if you smoke in bed, STOP THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Love my pets

Usually they are installed close to the door in the room, not over the bed. You want it to detect smoke as it just enters the room, not when it reaches you.

I would have it moved and also maybe it's a defective one if it's going off for no reason.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

who would put one over a bed?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Also, it sounds like yours is defective. They should not go off for no reason. Some types go off a lot when people are cooking, but really, get one of the optical ones, which don't tend do that either, and are preferred by fire departments. And don't put it over your bed, as someone pointed out, you want to know about the smoke before its there.

At the risk of infuriating some people on this board . . your state is right to require smoke detectors in rentals (I assume you are renting) and anyone who owns their home is an idiot not to have them. They are cheap and they save lives. A smoke detector probably saved my life when our apartment building in Phoenix burned down (and certainly saved that of my cats, because had we not had that warning, we would have been hard pressed to get out ourselves, let alone grab terrified animals). Just this past Christmas, five members of the same family (3 children and their grandparents, leaving the mother as the only survivor) were killed in a fire. There were no smoke detectors; had there been, they would likely be alive.

We used to have the cheap kind that went off when we cooked . . .we'd take them down while cooking and put them back up afterwards . . . and then we switched to opticals. The new tenants at our old rental house now have VERY nice smoke detectors.

So, move it, get one that is not defective, and if you have to resort to some black tape. But keep the detector. It is your friend, believe it or not.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

They most certainly save lives! I agree. Get one that's not defective and put it closer to your door. I have them in every room of my house, in hallways and I don't even notice them. I agree that in rentals it should be required because it's part of being a landlord...to provide a safe and healthy environment for the tenant. It's required code here to put them in all new construction and has been for years. I urge you not to dismantle the thing. Just get the landlord to make it right. And if he doesn't do it, do it yourself or find someone to help you.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

woops....the thing wasn't working right and this was a double post.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 01-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
They most certainly save lives! I agree. Get one that's not defective and put it closer to your door. I have them in every room of my house, in hallways and I don't even notice them. I agree that in rentals it should be required because it's part of being a landlord...to provide a safe and healthy environment for the tenant. It's required code here to put them in all new construction and has been for years. I urge you not to dismantle the thing. Just get the landlord to make it right. And if he doesn't do it, do it yourself or find someone to help you.

Wow Lil! I'm so glad you had smoke detectors. You're right. You probably wouldn't have gotten out in time without them. Fires flare up and spread incredibly fast.
Definitely agree!

Not only does it protect you, it protects the other people in the building who you share walls with.

Can you have them move it to a place that actually makes sense? I'd be mad, too, if they put one over my bed! We have them in every room and hallway, but I never even notice them.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Not only does it protect you, it protects the other people in the building who you share walls with.
Yes, absolutely. And the same goes for houses in a neighborhood. Or even not in a neighborhood. If a fire has more of a chance of spreading because of a lack of early warning, it could get into the trees and spread that way if it's a forested area or even grassy.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Squishy face

I wish we could take ours down while cooking, but my roommate learned in her security class that smoke detectors contain radon and tampering with them is illegal, so now she won't let us touch them. -_- At least they usually turn off right away when we push the button with the broom handle. Although sometimes they WON'T and one of us holds the button in on the one near the kitchen with the broom handle and the other takes the mop handle and presses the buttons on all the others until they shut up.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!