Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Keeping Venomous Critters?

So I don't have to further hijack skittles thread. What do you guys think of it? Should there be different levels of venomous things that are allowed to be kept?

Last spring I went to a reptile and exotic swap and they had rear fanged vine snakes that were just gorgeous. They were described as "non regulated venomous"...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Big Dog

In my opinion, if someone has experience with non venomous and have done their research, it's fine to own a venomous.

Most people will want them just for the thrill of having something venemous and to show them off over that. In the future, after I've done enough research and found the right snake, I would like to keep a venomous snake and see how it works out for me but right now my dad wouldn't allow it. The most he allows is my pterinochilus murinus tarantula which rarely has any venom at all.

3:3:0 cats - 1:1:7 snakes - 3:4:2 lizards - 2:3:7 tarantulas
1:1:0 ferrets - 2:2:0 turtles - 0:0:2 scorpions - 0:0:1 frog - 0:1:0 degu
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
*Now with Snark*

I know quite a few people who keep hot and outright dangerous herps. As long as the person has the facilities, security, and knowledge I have no problem with it. The learning curve for such ownership is steep though and similar to raptors I foresee a day where special handling and facility licensing will be required. Right now if I wanted a cobra one could be mail ordered and at my door within a few days.

Also IMO venomoids as a practice for hobby owners I am not ok with except under very specific circumstances like learning handling, education outreach, etc.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Chihuahua Power!

We have a couple of venomous fish: a fuzzy dwarf lionfish and a magnificent foxface. Both of these have venomous spines on their backs. Neither one of these could kill you- they're more like really bad bee stings (luckily, we haven't had to worry about it!).

I agree with Kat, though.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

also agree with Kat.
i don't agree with putting any sort of actual restrictions on it. it ruins it for those who actually know what they're doing. i've been on the crappy end of these laws for a while now, just not with herps. it is such a sucky situation to be told you can't own something because of some dingus who didn't just read a book and go out to talk to people with actual experience.

My Polyvore
Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Hot snakes were recently banned here. I certainly think people should be able to own them, but I wouldn't be too upset if they (and other dangerous exotics) were governed like raptors.

Personally I wouldn't own a snake with dangerous venom ( though I think bush vipers are goorrgggeeeooouuss), but I might like to own some spp of critter with mild venom.

(PS, why does it look like sillysally is banned?!?)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Taxiderpy

Some venomous reptiles are pretty low risk. Hognose snakes are venomous, but they're rear fanged and their venom is geared toward lizards and has little to no effect on humans. Plus their self defense mechanism involves defecating and playing dead, not biting, which further lowers risk of a bite.

I think every person who wants a hot animal should get a white lipped python. They should handle it every day for a full year. And EVERY time they get bit, they must put a sticky note on the front of the vivarium saying:
Quote:
Today I was bit. If this was (species X) I would be in the hospital and have to receive 5-30 vials of antivenom at a cost of $12,000+ each, if the hospital even stocks the appropriate kind. If not, I am now dead.
At the end of a year, they should count up the sticky notes and really decide if the more toxic hot pets are for them.

Edit: I know a dude with over 100 rattlesnakes who also breeds unaltered gaboon vipers. He's EXTREMELY responsible. He also supplies harvested venom for making antivenom.