Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
As someone about to have a chemistry degree I am not at all worried about sucralose. The fats in margarine scare me far far more.
LOL. I don't necessarily worry about because I see it all as a "pick your poison" type of situation. None of it is good for you. It's just a personal choice as to which poison you choose. I already mentioned that I could pour 5 packs of Sweet-N-Low is a standard glass of unsweet tea. I have to stay away....far, far away.

Oh, and I've used spray butter for about 10 years now.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Just try me..

LOL at the addiction to saccharin! Its totally a pick your poison. I love a little sweet in my diet, I can't stand the taste of stevia, truvia I cant' find here. So sucralose it is!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

i'm glad i'm not the only one that uses so much sweetener. i use about 4 or 5 packs of sugar in a cup of hot tea (which i only started drinking after coming here from the south, i really adjusted how i drank tea when i came here) and about 3 or 4 in coffee. both in good sized mugs, not little teacups. i do use an organic raw sugar or whatever, though. i always ask if i'm out if the place at least has sugar in the raw, if nothing else. i'm convinced it tastes better haha.

i have a bad kidney stone problem though so i have to watch my tea intake, among other things. i've started drinking lots of water though. and now, really the only soda i drink is ginger ale. it's one soda i honestly cannot kick.

My Polyvore
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I have one diet mountain dew 4-5 days a week- I really can't cut the habit!

I drink a TON of seltzer water, which is just sparkling water with flavor. Zero calories, so it's basically the same as drinking water. I just need that fizz.

Other than diet soda, I don't use sweetener. I drink a cup of coffee every morning without adding sugar, since creamer already contains sugar.

I definitely agree with picking your poison.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Let it be

Me too... I love really sweet coffee/tea. Now time to go make some. YUM
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Kotah BEAR

I HATE diet soda, but regular soda I LOVE.

I am a huge root beer and strawberry fanta fan, more so fanta than RB. I will have one maybe once a week and that's it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

it absolutely a pick your poison. ALL stimulants cause your body to burn it's stored sugars and crave sweets (that's why coffee & donuts are traditionally served together). coffee & tea are in their own way just as bad for you as diet sodas. for example the coloring component of coffee & dark teas is tannic acid. tannic acid is the component that turns a nice creamy white cow hide into the brown leather of your work boots. there is some correlation between long term coffee & tea consumption and GI problems later in life.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm All Ears

I actually don't have any problems quitting cokes. I used to drink 2 a day then the next day cut them out entirely and have been fine. There have been occasional cravings when I go out to eat with my friends or something and one gets a Diet Dr Pepper. But I can usually get past them in about 5 minutes. I went years without drinking a coke.

For tea and coffee I'm slowly weaning off of sweeteners. Coffee is harder for me so I'm finding I am just avoiding it entirely. For tea though I've started putting ice into green tea because I can drink that without sweeteners much easier than regular tea.

I find if you can get past the first few weeks sodas start tasting bad.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad I don't like sodas in the first place. That way, I don't have to give them up and feel deprived. I told someone once a long time ago that I gave up having one or two drinks every evening and lost 10 lbs, just like that! She said that she wished she drank so she could give it up and lose 10 lbs. lol.

Caffeine in reasonable amounts is suppose to be good for you. It makes you smarter because the more awake you are, the more you learn. That may be funny sounding but it's true. Coffee and tea both have have anti oxidants. By adding milk or cream, that neutralizes the effects of the anti-oxidants. So, some...not to excess is thought to be healthy. I don't think the same can be said about soda pop, diet or sugary. Soda water has a lot of sodium I believe. Seltzer may be better that way. Another way to spruce up water, at least I like it...is to stack the glass up with cucumbers and pour cold water on that. I often like a wedge of lemon or lime in the water, which gives it a little zing.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Yes, the research out there is spotty....but I see it as a "do I really want to risk them being right?" type thing. I haven't seen anything about eating wholesome organic vegetables & quality free-range meats being bad for you (yet)....so I think I'll stick with that stuff (as the bulk of my diet).

Obviously I splurge every now & then. If I'm at a tailgate, I'm not going to turn down some diet coke & doritos. Ya know? It isn't an "all or nothing". Eat as healthy as you can, as often as you can.

Really tasty alternatives to soda, btw:

-tea (been covered)
- flavored perrier (omg, the grapefruit is to DIE for - I HATE perrier & I hate grapefruit, but for some reason, the combo is perfection)
- La Croix (comes in a can, just like soda) - lots of flavors & very affordable (unlike perrier)

Thanks Jessie!