Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Not a Border Collie

My heart is wih herding breeds, and I like an all round sort of working farm dog. Collie type. 35-55 pounds, medium length easy care coat, I prefer prick ears, lean and long legged but not fragile. Quinn is for sure my dream dog, so much so I've come to the realization that my next ES probably won't be as perfect as her but we'll make it work LOL. She is totally my type and so athletic and graceful I could watch her move all day.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Wookie Collie

Medium and smooth coated farmdogs.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Let it be

Collie types will always be my heart. I find them physically stunning. I love the fluffy pants they can get on their bums too and the manes but short haired versions melt my heart too. That's my look and that's my personality type. Something about them just screams perfect.

I really like the look of sighthounds too.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
love herds

I have to be basically dragged out of the shelter when I visit. I am a total sucker for any medium-large fluffy dog, I will take them all. Collies pretty well typify what I am attracted to, big but not too big, leggy, elegant and fluffy (although for practical reasons my next may be a smooth)
Although I also have an appreciation for a nice compact dog like an ACD and the scruffy terrier type is growing on me quickly collie types with always be my favorite.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
YOU HAVE A BEAUCERON. Be my friend.

Sorry, been loving on Beaucerons for several years now - think I've seen you around ProDog. That is a gorgeous dog.
Yes, I'm a PDGS member. And I'm so in love with my Endy pup, how can you not love an Endy pup?

Yes, I did choose her though based more on temperament and characteristics of the breed, over looks. But they grown on you. Just look at her go!

Leaping by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Almost by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Catch! by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

Getting more into "Conformation", I think it really has brought forward more of, what I find "attractive" in a dog, and certain breeds, as well what I also don't find to attractive, but I really wasn't ever a Bulldog person to start with, lol. I know there are many people who love a lot of those characteristics, but, I'll take my athlete, and sturdy agile driven dog please. I also have found over the last few years, Dachshunds are fun to look at, but I really, have NO attraction what so EVER to scent hounds! No matter their shape! I've never really been into scent hounds, or Mastiffs, or most toy breeds either. I usually stick to Shepherds, Collies, Cattle dogs, and Spitz, although I find many of the terriers attractive too, but they are a family I don't think I'll ever own personally from. I really like the Wire fox terrier, the Welsh terrier, and the Sky terrier. But, none as much as my herding breeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I'm really drawn to the "Farm Collie" type, the very utilitarian shape, moderate coat (I love being able to dig my fingers into a dog's coat) and attitude.

I still have a dream that I'll find the perfect shepherd/collie cross one day and he will be named Spike after one of my favorite books as a kid. One of my former clients had that dog, but obviously he was taken, so I'm hoping for a repeat.
Yes, SHE was the ultimate "Dream dog"!

I still far love my "Farm collies" more than anything, but, I just don't know if I could own another, they really take the biggest chunk of you with them when it's their time to leave. Well, that and I just can't deal with that much coat these days! Maddy (A.K.A. SuperDog) was out of a Border collie and GSD, litter of free-to-good-home puppies, I was approx 3 1/2 years old when we got her at 6 months. My father ultimately made the choice to get one, because one of his childhood companions was a rough Collie GSD cross. I almost have to wonder if some of breed taste preference doesn't have to do with family and environment, my grandmother also use to breed GSD's (late 50's, early 60's? I'm not exactly sure the dates), so herding breeds run deep for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Twin 2.0

Beuces are pretty neat dogs. I used to work for a lady who breeds them and got hooked.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Let it be

My love for herding breeds certainly does stem from my mom buying a sheltie as my first dog. Never looked back since.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I dont think I really have a "type". At least not that I am aware. I think I prefer taller, leaner, athletic type dogs. I like certain breeds that are thicker, but not as a whole. As for coat, IDK. Obviously a curly high maint. coat doesnt bother me. I am not drawn to dogs with a ton of coat though (newfs, saints, aussies, etc.). All I can think of when I look at them is the amount of hair around my house! LOL!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

This is pretty well perfect to me...

And in action...
http://youtu.be/OkQOgmdvqks

Square, moderate, fairly natural build but elegant looking, good leg length, square, athletic, fast, pointy headed, pointy eared dog. The fringy ears and "black goes with everything" coat are just a bonus
Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Gosh, this is a hard one. I like leggy dogs with pointy faces. I prefer pointy ears over dropped ears but I'm not to particular. But I want the dog to still maintain a slight 'goofy' expression.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/