Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Default VFF's for running vs. normal running shoes

Right now, my running shoes are Nike Darts. I've worn Nike since I was a kid so it's my tried and trusted brand.

However, I'm interested in getting a pair of VFFs solely for running. Pros? Cons? Are they painful at first?

I know there are a bunch of people on here who swear by them. Thanks!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

If you switch to VFFs from regular shoes, you have to SLOW THE EFF DOWN and build up your mileage slowly... VERY s-l-o-w-l-y. Err on the side of caution. Or yes, they will be painful and you can do some damage.

Here is a HUGE list of resources for you from Runner's World:
http://www.runnersworld.com/communit...ideos-websites

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

I think in theory they are a good idea. Much mor enormal foot function, BUT the problem is most people dont' have normal foot function because of decades of wearing shoes. It takes time for ligaments and muscles and everything else to adapt so my advice would be to go slow.

I don't have any yet, but have often thought about trying them out. A great friend and very in shape doctor set up his own schedule. Thought he was doing slow and allowing for his body to adapt over a summer. His goal was a marathon in the VFF's. He did it, but not without giving himself a nice stress fracture in his foot and having to ditch one marathon and do another much later

was it because of the shoes? I don't know, stress fractures happen to lots of people for lots of reasons. I know I'd take my time, and I wouldn't be running on roads for quite a while with them.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Resident fainting goat

I have Nike IDs and I love them.. lol got them personalized so they say "EATMY DUST" on them (you can also personalized color, laces, sole, support, etc..etc.)
They are great running shoes! I am more of a sidewalk runner so they are great for that the bottoms are kinda.. bendy..

As for VFFS, (looks aside.. lol) I also know people that swear by them running wise! As somebody who does most of her running on sidewalks/treadmills and doesn't have any leg/foot issues/pain.. I didn't look into them. but people, especially those who run outdoors on all terrain, seem to love em!

I would try on both! Shoe stores especially have a great return policy.. walk around your house for a bit in each and feel em out lol
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Slave to the Aussie

I personally will never run in Anything else and I spend the weekend with a woman that ran 14 marathons in then last year ( she also said you don't need to replace then near as often as normal running shoes. Most normal shoes are rated to like 80 miles)

I had been walking and hiking in vff for about 3 months before I began to run and so never had any real adjustment period.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I have Nike IDs and I love them.. lol got them personalized so they say "EATMY DUST" on them (you can also personalized color, laces, sole, support, etc..etc.)
They are great running shoes! I am more of a sidewalk runner so they are great for that the bottoms are kinda.. bendy..

As for VFFS, (looks aside.. lol) I also know people that swear by them running wise! As somebody who does most of her running on sidewalks/treadmills and doesn't have any leg/foot issues/pain.. I didn't look into them. but people, especially those who run outdoors on all terrain, seem to love em!

I would try on both! Shoe stores especially have a great return policy.. walk around your house for a bit in each and feel em out lol
These.

Nike makes some of the best running shoes EVER. I run in just "plain" pink and white Nikes.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

I couldn't get past Nike hiring Vick for ads again so I just bought a new pair of New Balance running shoes. So far, I really love them! I don't run in the winter because of the cold and me being a giant wuss, but they are working really really well for indoor agility.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Well I saw this today and thought it might pertain

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45614741.../#.Tw3kkZilAQI
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Question can you wear VFF's for hiking as in hiking I mean like moutian terrain hiking . The terrian can be very rocky. Or would that just ruin a pair of VFF's

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I have a pair of Nike running shoes and a pair of VFF's and I do have to say I run better in my VFF's. I don't heal strike as much or have to worry about my form or how I'm running nearly as much as regular running shoes. They seem to keep me on the ball of my foot instead of on my heel which is great for me.

I do wear my Regular Nike's every once in a while, mostly when it is super wet and cold out. The VFF's don't stop the mud or wet from coming in so they can chill my feet to omuch sometimes. When it's dry and cold I don't have a problem once I start running, it's only when it's really chilly and really wet (like huge puddles everywhere type wet, not just water on the ground).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
Question can you wear VFF's for hiking as in hiking I mean like moutian terrain hiking . The terrian can be very rocky. Or would that just ruin a pair of VFF's
I wear mine when I go hiking, or trail running. There are a lot of boulders/rocks, but I don't have any problems. Honestly, I feel like I've got better grip with my VFF's than with my Nike's. But I've also got VFF's with a thicker sole made for all terrain running.