Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Removing dew claws

I need opinions on removing dew claws. I have a lab/hound puppy who will be neutered soon. I asked the vet about removing them and she said they could do it when he's neutered but that it is just cosmetic. She said sometimes the back ones can hang and get caught on things so sometimes it's recommended that the back ones be removed. I read another thread on here about having them removed and didn't even know that a dog could have them only on the front; I thought dogs had them front and back and for some reason only thought big dogs had them (propably because my westie either didn't have any or his fur just covered them up so I never noticed). So I just checked Gunner and actually I don't think he has dew claws on the back; since he's always moving it's hard to tell though but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Sould I get the front ones removed then, even if he doesn't have ones in the back? He does seem to hold his nylabones when he chews on them so maybe they help him with that. I don't want to have them removed if they don't need to be but I don't want them to cause problems for him (like getting caught or riped out) later on either. And they are sharp; it wil be hard for me to cut them since his nails are black I can't see where the quick is to see where to cut. For now I've just had the vet trim them when we go for visits. Would you get them removed?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Felurian

Unless they stuck out too much and were floppy, my personal inclination is to leave them alone, especially since he uses them in the way you describe. My dogs do the same thing; if those digits were removed they'd have a hard time doing some of the things they do.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I had Brady's removed, but his stuck out and one was like a floppy toe with no bone in it (like an extra toe), and I was afraid it woudl get caught on something and get ripped off so I had it done when he got fixed. It healed in about a week.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Felurian

Your description of Brady's dewclaws is exactly the kind I would have removed also. The floppy dewclaws are a real risk for injury if they're not removed, and since there isn't any significant connective tissue or muscle in the floppy ones they do generally heal pretty quickly and uneventfully.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Puppy Dog

Hmm...I think Gunner's are soft, pretty sure no bone in them, and you can see them without having to get real close, so I'm not sure if they really stick out or how close they can be since I have nothing to compare them too. Do you know of any websites that have pics of the different kinds and what kind would be best removed? I searched but came up with nothing.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Active Pup

Default Dew Claws

My fella, Calvin, is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Chow, Mastiff mix and has one Dew Claw on his back paw that doesn't seem to cause any problems. Plus, I think there's a legend about Dew Claws (can't remember what it is), that makes doggies with them special. I'd leave it.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Felurian

Browsing through the member galleries, I found this photo of a GORGEOUS pit that gives a good view of dew claws on the front legs that aren't floppy. http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/sh...php?photo=2864

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks, I think Gunner's are like those and when I felt them again I think there is some bone or cartiledge at least at the base of them. So I guess he'll be keeping them.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Big Dog

I totally agree with your vet, im a vet nurse and we only recommend removing dewclaws if they are hanging there (ie no bone attached) They do tend to get caught on things if they are not connected so i would just leave them where they are.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

Talking

Yer thats what my vet said too!!I wanted to see if you could get the drew claw removed and he said i wouldnt advise it due to they only remove thigs when there just hanging off or something serouise!!
The reson why i asked that was coz my mums mate said why has Lucky still got his drew claw coz both her whippets got there drew claws removed!!!
Anyway i dont care i like dogs with it or without it!!!
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy