Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Default Anyone had Canon AND Nikon?

Just wondering if anyone has had/used both, and which did you prefer? Which was more user friendly?

I'm considering getting a new camera this year, my current one is 2 years old, and I've lost interest in it I'd quite like to sell it, and put some money towards a new model. I've never really bonded with my Nikon D5000, like I did with my D40.

Considering switching to Canon, but just wanting a bit of advice first. I have no camera shops anywhere near me so going to look isn't an option.

My Photos
Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

I've only played a little with my brother's Cannon, so I don't think I'll be helpful. However, being a Nikon owner, I will say if you do want to switch to Cannon, read the instruction book and you should be good to go, I can't remember the model DSLR my Brother has, but I didn't find it that hard to transition using (he wanted some pictures of himself with his roommate, other wise his roommate would have taken the photo's). I have a Nikon D80.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Thanks! I'm just so unsure. It's such a lot of money, but I have such an itching for something new I don't even know anyone with one to have a play with.

My Photos
Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Me i just got a Nikon D7000 and also have a canon rebel.

I like the Nikon controls better, I like the Nikon customer service better.

If you have any specific questions i may be able to help.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
Thanks! I'm just so unsure. It's such a lot of money, but I have such an itching for something new I don't even know anyone with one to have a play with.
It is a lot of money, and as itchy as you are please take your time! If you can, scope out a store in your area that you can actually pick up and look at, and even try out in the store, the camera you're interested in! This is what I did. But in the end I stuck with Nikon, hands down, because I already had the lenses, and to me that was money saved, not having to buy new lenses on top of being able to get just the unit without a lens cheaper than with one.

The one thing though that I wasn't sure about, and was at the store to look at, I brought with me my Telephoto lens to make sure it fit on and worked with the camera I wanted based on internet reviews. At the time, people stated that the D80 was the best you could get "pre-pro", I'm still on the edge, but someday I would like to maybe go pro in photography and this was the best they said before you get into the real pro-camera (although, still not a cheap camera).

Sad to think, my camera is now well outdated by today's standards, you can get (last I looked, the number may now be higher!) a 12MP for the same price as mine was at the time! AND, they include an HD movie capture feature... mine only takes still photo's.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm All Ears

I have an old Canon Rebel, a Nikon D60, and a Nikon D90. I like the Nikon feel and controls better personally. I haven't gotten to mess too much with the newer Rebels though.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Technocat

If you were on a photo fourm and asked that question ... you would get about 1/3 Nikon 1/3 Canon and 1/3 Other.
So ... its what you feel better with and your lens collection that matters.
FYIW - Nikon cameras lenes are a bit more $$ than Canon and JPEC color is a bit warmer.
Now that Nikon has FF DSLR there is as much delta as a Ford and Chevy.
Its what you do with it that counts and not what it is ..
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Twin 2.0

I've played around a little bit with Canons but I'm still hooked on my Nikon. I've currently got a D80, started off with a D50 and looking at getting either a D7000 or a D700 for my next upgrade.

I would probably sell part of my liver to be able to afford a D3 or the new D4.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

I'm thinking I'll wait a bit...I'm considering taking a trip to Ireland in April, and instead of a camera, I could have a really good trip. So I'm going to keep looking, maybe have a feel around, but nothing definite until the Summer maybe.

My Photos
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

I work in a photography store, and I give camera lessons there as well so I have used both.

I use Nikons at home so I'm more used to the Nikon layout and I find it a little more user friendly.

I find it harder to switch over from Nikon to Canon cameras because the buttons are all in different locations! Especially with the lower end models like T1i/T2i/T3is, I don't like where some of the buttons are located like ISO (at the top of the camera). I find you have to hit a button like WB or ISO and then scroll the dial at the top. Whereas on the Nikons, you just hold that button while turning the dial. I also like the dial location of the Nikons better as well as prefer the dual dials on the higher end models for Nikons.

However, one thing that I love about Canons are the screen. I always find the Nikon screens too bright and the picture actually turns out a lot darker, whereas with the Canons, I don't have that problem.

I don't think either is hard to use. I've done day's worth of shooting with both the Canon 7D, 60D and T3i (this one being the camera we use for passport photos) and I've given hundreds of lessons on each, I don't think either one is difficult.

I've used most of the Nikons a lot, and I do prefer their controls a little better. Especially for manual shooting, I just find the buttons to be in more convenient locations.