Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I agree with Kat, and also WelshStump. Some dogs can't tolerate pork. Some are fine, but I know my dog, when I feed her pork, gets really bad gas (sorry, TMI!) which seems to be indicative of a less-than-happy stomach. I don't feed pork for that reason. You might try a different meat and see if that helps. Kat has good advice, though!

Edited to add: The throwing up seems like an indicator of a bigger problem, to me. Not sure what would cause it, but I would talk to your vet. Might not be the food necesarily, but some other stomach issue.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Puppy Dog

we have talked to the vet before about the throwing up, and he suggested smaller more frequent meals during the day...sigh... and to give him antacid, because he has such a sensitive tummy.
I would love to do raw.
In my ideal world, I make him just the right amount of food, 2x a day and he is joyful when he eats.
I hope to get there one day.

thanks for the info! keep it coming...I got lots of reading to do!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
*Now with Snark*

Raw diet and antacids really don't go together, so I really wouldn't suggest that route. Commercial diet - I would suggest 3x a day. Put down the dish and pick it up again. It might just be that he's trying to tell you he's not hungry every single time that magic dish appears.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Puppy Dog

tough love it is. He now eats at 8a and 8p. When I put the dish down, he would stare at me. I set my egg timer for 15 min and wait. If he didnt eat, it was taken away. this went on for about 2 days. He actually didnt eat at all for 24 hours. It was trully a battle of wills. Obviously, since I have the opposable thumbs, I win.
So now- no more midnight runs, no more eating on a whim, and he is now required to sit and bark before each meal. (only because his bark is so sweet, I love to hear it!). He learned fast to eat what he is given, so he is no longer rejecting the food.
He is now eating less, I was giving too much, because there was food left over in the bowl, so I cut back on the food a bit. He finishes it now.
All is right with his tummy now= no more barfing, runny poop or belching.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and no people food ever, including raw...not yet, until I have a better grasp of that whole thing.