Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Twin 2.0

I don't have much to add besides agreeing that getting him on a balanced diet is going to be the first step towards fixing anything else.

Try and find a natural pet food store in your area. There are a number of limited ingredient diets (LID's) on the market now: California Natural (not grain-free), Nature's Variety (I think they have both the grain-free and regular version in a LID) and also Canidae has a new LID line. Also agree with Kat about SLOWLY SLOWLY SLOWLY introducing the new food into his diet.

And find a new vet. The fact that he hasn't mentioned anything about how unbalanced his diet is just screams "red flag".

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Taxiderpy

Just another thought, what cut of pork do you give him? Some of the bigger parts like the hams are injected with saline when the pig is butchered to keep the deep tissue from spoiling as it cools. Excess salt could be making him pee more too.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

I agree with Kat that he's not getting a balanced diet. He's missing bone meal and all kinds of vitamins and minerals by just eating cooked pork. Rice has pretty much nothing. If you're going to feed a home made meal, do some research on a raw diet including bones. They need a big variety of meats....all the essential minerals and vitamins. He's clearly not getting that with this cooked pork and rice. It may be that it worked for a while, but now he's finally showing the effects. If you're not sure about doing all the research necessary to do a home made (cooked or raw) diet (it takes a lot)...go gradually to a premium kibble, like Taste of the Wild. I wouldn't take it too gradually though. He needs to get what he's missing....maybe over a week's time. Taste of the Wild or other premium grain free kibble looks expensive, but it's not really so bad because there's no waste like there is with the cheap stuff. Vets notoriously don't know a whole lot about nutrition I don't think. After all, they often sell Science Diet, which is absolute junk. Dogs need to have a well balanced, quality food one way or another.

I can understand him getting stressed out over the storm at the time and maybe even for a couple days after. But I seriously doubt that it would ruin him this way this long afterward.

So, yeah....get a second opinion from another vet, definitely. Rule out medical/nutritional causes first and take it from there. The rescue remedy wouldn't be a bad idea either. Personally, I'd want to know which thing is causing it, so I'd hold off on the Rescue remedy and see if the diet change alone will help. In other words, single out things individually so you'll know which thing worked. That knowledge may be of use later. I hope he gets over this...poor guy.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Puppy Dog

Thank for all your info. I feel like an ass for feeding him this for so long. It was the pork shoulder.. and he LOVED it. (We do too!)
Anyway, I got a bag of Taste of the Wild and canned Canidae. I am giving him 1/3 can, 1 cup dry, 1/3c pork and 1/3 c rice 3x a day, with a 1030pm snack of water and dry with a banana. Since Sunday, his poop has solidified, no more squirts- but residual mucus.
However...his gas from both ends is outrageous! Seriously, he has sour stomach- his belches are gut wrenching! I though the septic backflowed last night, it was just him.
I know his bowels are in an uproar, and it will take time, but he really cannot do grains gluten or dairy. any suggestions on making this less painful for him, and us? I know he is hurting.

Good news is he let me sleep last night from 1030a to 6a. that was nice, accept my son woke a few times. ah well...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
*Now with Snark*

Get a can of probios from a feed store. All the bacteria of yogurt in powder form.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Felurian

Try giving him some activated charcoal tabs, or Phazyme (simethicone) caps. They will help with the gas while he's getting back in order

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Puppy Dog

So he has been on dog food now, we introduced him completely, with each meal, phasing out the rice and pork.
Now he eats still 3x, sometimes 4x a day, poops almost on cue, but still, last night he needed to pee/poop at 4am. Last he ate as of today was dinner last night at 8p.

Now we are running into what we have in the past with him.

He takes to the dog food just fine...for a little while, then he rejects it.
last pork/rice combo was about 4 meals ago- and he has eaten dry/canned for 3 past meals. This morning, I made him breakfast...he rejected it, then went outside and threw up.
I tried again at 12pm, added a poached egg to his meal (1c dry and 1/3 can- thinking it might be too much food) he rejected it again...
now its 3pm, and I am trying to give him a meal, no thanks. He won't eat, but when I go to make his meal, he waits eagerly.
This has happened before- he is so picky about his food. And he really likes real meat.
I can't let him go without food for more than 6 hrs or he throws up.
I am at a loss.

help!

oh, his gas at both ends stopped. thankfully!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
*Now with Snark*

Tough love.... most healthy dogs will not starve themselves to death. Put down the dish... pick it up 30 minutes later. If he eats he eats... if he doesn't he goes hungry til the next opportunity to eat.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Twin 2.0

Then you need to contact Sabine with Better Dog Care and have her work you up a good raw diet plan. www.betterdogcare.com

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

If you are willing to do the work, he might do better with a raw diet. Then you'll know exactly what is going in.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!