Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Its hard enough to tell when they are a known breed from dog sport lines and well socialized. Just playing puppy roulette and grabbing a random street puppy might be an exciting way to get a pet, but not the best way of picking your next dog sport partner.
I'd personally still take my chances with a young puppy, if I decided a Mexi-dog was what I had to have Of course, I wouldn't just be taking a "random puppy". I'd look for the things I always look for when I get a puppy. To me, the early phases of puppyhood are just too important to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
i was so surprised! i questioned it of course, but they are always identical, and most have been surrenders so i have to assume the owner told them the breed. it would be an odd one to just guess out of nowhere, and i'd assume they'd guess it as an Ibizan mix, before a Podengo, just given which is known more.

Are these Podengos big or little? All at the same place? I'd probably still question if they were actually Podengos or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

There's no way to really know but she does fit the CD general checklist except for a few unknowns (heat cycle, puppy-rearing) *shrugs*
How cool! Does she make snout pits?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

the ones i've seen have mostly been closer to the larger Podengos. the only small one i saw was listed as a Podengo mix.

My Polyvore
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM
& the Muttly Crew

@Aleron -- I don't know. She scratches little holes and sticks her face in them but whether she's just trying to get a better sniff of something or wants to eat something or whether it's a formal "snout pit" I haven't the foggiest. Also don't know if they all do it. They seem a motley crew with rather variable behavior and type, but an overlapping average. Perhaps Dr. Brisbin would be so kind as to come I'd my spayed dog for me

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
the ones i've seen have mostly been closer to the larger Podengos. the only small one i saw was listed as a Podengo mix.
The medium and large ones are pretty uncommon, so it would be really surprising that there would be multiples at a shelter in your area. Is there a local breeder who's producing a lot of litters? The small ones I have seen are all kind of dwarfy looking - very short legs. I've seen quite a number of the small ones but just a handful of medium and large ones. Years ago, their breed club's website used to recommend not owning one if you have an aversion to using a bark collar or debarking and live in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
@Aleron -- I don't know. She scratches little holes and sticks her face in them but whether she's just trying to get a better sniff of something or wants to eat something or whether it's a formal "snout pit" I haven't the foggiest.
Well that sounds like a snout pit to me! Of course, I've never seen a formal snout pit either LOL
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
The medium and large ones are pretty uncommon, so it would be really surprising that there would be multiples at a shelter in your area. Is there a local breeder who's producing a lot of litters? The small ones I have seen are all kind of dwarfy looking - very short legs. I've seen quite a number of the small ones but just a handful of medium and large ones. Years ago, their breed club's website used to recommend not owning one if you have an aversion to using a bark collar or debarking and live in town.
aw, i don't think i could ever debark

i've never looked for a breeder, but i'll keep an eye out for sure now. i checked my usual 'is there a breeder for this dog in canada" site (ahah) and it had none listed. i will check around

My Polyvore
Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

Vieques island down in Puerto Rico had nice stockier medium boned pariahs. back when they had a naval detachment a viquenzie was the official mascott for the det. she rated 3 meals a day from the chow hall just like any other sailor. they are pretty fair stock dogs and will work cattle & horses similar to a cur dog.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
I'd personally still take my chances with a young puppy, if I decided a Mexi-dog was what I had to have Of course, I wouldn't just be taking a "random puppy". I'd look for the things I always look for when I get a puppy. To me, the early phases of puppyhood are just too important to pass up.
That's what I did - I didn't want a random street dog, I gave RD a long list of requirements.... and she did a great job at meeting those requirements. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten her.

I've spent a lot of time with podengos - mostly the medio and grande sizes, but also the pequenos - and Talla reminds me a lot of the two larger sizes of podengo. A smooth Podengo Medio was what I wanted, until Talla came along. Also helped that RD is a lot nicer than the jackarse I dealt with in Podengos.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Kotah BEAR

Wow this thread blew up over night lol

I am not saying I am getting one as soon as I move, I am considering one though.

I would love to do agility, but if I get a Mexidog puppy and the older he/she got and if he/she couldn't do agility, that is fine. I still go hiking, kayaking, the list goes on and on. I am not wanting a dog to do EVERYTHING I want them to do, because that would be almost impossible.

But so far, Mexidogs are looking more and more like an option.
I will probably get a puppy anyways. I want to train it, socialize it, etc etc. I wouldn't mind getting an older (6months-1year) Mexidog but I would be worried about lack of socialization and all that stuff Grace mentioned.

I honestly appreciate all this info.

And feel free to keep posting pictures
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
That's what I did - I didn't want a random street dog, I gave RD a long list of requirements.... and she did a great job at meeting those requirements. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have gotten her.
And this.

I am not going to just go all willy nilly and get some random puppy. By no means. I wouldn't do that with a breeder, I won't do it anywhere else.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Cloudcandy

O
M
G

PUPPY CRICKET
:,)
Why had I not seen these,SO AMAZING ..oh lorddd,and she is still so young,I thought she was older!!
Talia is stunning too!Is she still a pup,I love the name.She looks alot like a patterdale I sit though..wierd

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket