Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Puppy Dog

Default ACA registaion ?

i've heard about being AKC registered but the Shih Tzu puppy we are getting is ACA registered. so, what is it? is it good/bad/indifferent? does it mean anything?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Big Dog

Hey sofa king, love the name! My brother inlaw wrote that on a peice of paper but had the phrase "we todd it" at the end, it sounds so funny when someone who doesnt know what it sounds like reads it over and over until they get it!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:02 PM
agilitydobemom

I have not heard of the ACA but I do know that there are alot of "new" registrations popping up all over the place and it seems to me that it is a place for people to go if there dogs are not AKC, CKC, or UKC registered I would avoid them I have found that most of the time the breeders are irresponsible people who are back yard breeders
Old 11-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Puppy Dog

ok, honestly, how bad are these "backyard breeders"? all of there puppies looked good to me, of course i'm not sure how they are supposed to look at only 3 weeks old. it was an old farm couple out in the country. as long as the dog is healthy, i dont really care about it being registered.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

I think all the papers are meaningless unless your planning to breed them then you should buy a dog that has AKC. All the other papers don't mean anything.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Felurian

That's good advice, Candy, but even with AKC papers it doesn't mean the dog is sound, and you do have to take into account that there are many breeds that (thankfully) the AKC hasn't recognized. Most of these breeds have their own registries that uphold standards, and even within these smaller groups there are splinter registries that don't uphold the same standards. You just have to do the research.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Corgi bum

My Corgi is not AKC registered, but she has been vet checked and is sound, healthy & free from any genetic problems linked with this breed. The Sire of her puppies also has gone through the same. Their puppies at this point are also extremely healthy according to our vet. I think that if a person wants a dog for strictly a pet,that it would be ok to get a puppy from what you call a "back yard breeder". I guess that is what I am, and my dogs are healthy, happy, well taken care of & very well loved.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 PM

Truly, here's my take on it...which is the same as some of you.... I bought Hammie from a respected breeder, he is AKC registered. Now....since he is neutered, obviously I didn't want to breed him.......so basically I think for a loving pet, it was a big expense. Those papers don't mean diddly squat to me. I like knowing his background.........but I could have had the same sweet pet from a wonderful rescue. So.....unless you are into proper breeding...or are showing your dog, the 'papers' don't mean anything do they? I HATE puppy mills as much as all of you......so never buy from a pet shop. BUT, I think if a person has two beautiful dogs, with certified good health from a qualified vet....and they breed them....and all the dogs are AKC registered...what is so wrong with that 'back yard' breeder? Now, Serena....you know I am someone who respects you totally, so please don't get upset with me. BUT....just say...IF the health is documented, the dogs are raised with love and care....is it so bad for SOME back yard breeders?? And, nope...I don't ask with any intention of EVER doing it myself........no puppies around here!! LOL Addie is spayed, Ham is neutered. I believe in birth control! lol
Old 11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Corgi bum

I agree 100% with you Debi. I have seen many breeders who hide behind those AKC papers, and to be perfectly honest with you, I would NOT buy a dog from them, because their dogs that they use to breed are not properly take care of.

Dena
Old 11-18-2004, 03:06 PM
agilitydobemom

I also agree with many of you papers don't mean didlly squat but the fact is there are too many "back yard breeders" that DO NOT check genetic quality of their dogs and quite frankly don't give a **** either and they are only adding to the overpopulation of this throw away society I think that the registries need to be more responsible in who they allow to register dogs with them I have seen people do many wrong things and the registires don't check into them for example registering seversal dogs with one registration number, or I know this lady who found a Rottie on the side of the road and registered it with CKC (Contenintal Kennel Club) and then bred her to one of her puppies and got "rare" blue Rottie pups wich are a result of inbreeding many breeders and even the breed description will tell you this and registered these pups with CKC (Contenintal Kennel Club) and sold these pups to unsuspecting buyers for $1000.00 and $1500.00 and she is a back yard breeder sure they should have checked out the pups better but shouldn't it be on the breeder a little my point is that papers are not important but the fact is that if the dogs are registered with AKC, CKC (Canadian Kennel Club), or UKC than the breeders are generally more concerned with the dogs they are breeding and you have more of a chance to research your individual dogs heredity and I am also trying to point out the fact that most BYB's don't have a clue as to how properly breed a healthy litter of puppies