Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
swimming upstream

I think someone needs to write a breed standard for Wilson--I dare you to try!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

I was told Marlin is a pure bred ACD, but given his floppy-ish ears, I'm thinking he's either got a very small mix of something else in him, or he's just very poorly bred. As for Charlotte, well, she definitely fits the bill for a pure bred mutt!

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
...ice road...

The UKC standard for APBT -

Quote:
The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed***8217;s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.
Which my dogs definitely fit! They are hyper, life-loving crazies! My dogs are on the more mild side for DA, but they have a love for ANYONE human... no loyalty! They'd go with anyone who talks sweet at em LOL

A description of Salukis from http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/salukis.html - My responses about Bukra in bold!

Quote:
Once past the destructive puppy stage, he is docile and quiet indoors, a creature of comfort who prefers soft beds and sofas on which he can lounge and survey his domain.
True! Bukra WILL lay on the floor if he must, but he will choose furniture first if it is available.
However, his fragile appearance is deceiving: At full gallop he is so incredibly fast (up to forty-five miles per hour) and has such strong chasing instincts that he must not be let off-leash except in a safe, enclosed area. And he is an agile jumper, so fences should be at least six feet high.
True! Though Bukra has not exhibited issues with low fences, he is VERY agile in the field
Salukis are aloof (often cautious) with strangers and require early socialization to encourage an outgoing attitude.
True! Bukra is VERY outgoing and not at all aloof or cautious. He was extensively socialized as a puppy. His brother was not socialized, and is a nightmare!
Generally sociable with other dogs, he will pursue anything that runs, including small pets, and he can react with lightning reflexes.
True! Bukra was cat safe as a youngster, but as he is maturing, that went out the window! He is, however, completely small-dog safe. He's not entirely dog sociable, though.
The Saluki is an independent thinker, yet sensitive to correction, so he should be trained calmly and coaxed with food and games. However, this breed does need firm boundaries or he will be quick to take advantage.
True! Bukra is quite pleasing for a Saluki, but it's still with a "*sigh* I'm only doing this because I love you, you silly human" uppity attitude lol and, it takes very, very little to correct him.
Many sighthounds are touch-sensitive, tending to startle if touched unexpectedly and uncomfortable when cuddled excessively. A verbal correction is more effective than a physical one, because it is less upsetting and distracting to the dog.
True! As an example... Whereas I have to literally shove the bulldogs off the bed to rearrange the blankets, I can barely touch a toe to Bukra and he moves. He doesn't really startle, because he's been desensitized to it... but he's still very sensitive to touch. He doesn't cuddle, but he tolerates hugs and being physically restrained really well for a Saluki.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Top Dog

Darla IS ALL Border Collie, Aussie, and Golden Retriever, although I don't see GSD which her brother clearly resembles. Maybe they had two different fathers.

Karma is all American Bulldog x Pit Bull, descriptions fit her to a T, besides the aggression with small animals. Although she can be domineering and OMG IT SQUEAKS to other dogs and can be unpredictable with them, she absolutely LOVES my cat. If she meows Karma runs over and wiggles all over and licks her face. If the cat walks by Karma gets up and follows her and licks her face and her butt and wiggles and wags her tail 100 miles per hour. She is terrified of my aunt's kitten and SCREAMED when it chased her and my rat bit her on the nose and she ran and won't go near the cage again.

Kenai is most certainly a Boxer. Just not as bouncy and goofy as most I have worked with, he's a fairly serious dog
unless he's in the mood (like when I first get home or let him in from being outside).

Most of the Labs I have had unfortunately have not fit breed descriptions which I feel is true for quite a bit of the breed today which is sad but I once had an amazing field Lab that was AMAZING and fit the breed description and beyond she was the ultimate dog. It's insanely sad what overbreeding can do to a breed.