Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Judge the GSD does for the most part except he is much more friendly though and not aloof at all....Probably more to do with early socialization than breeding though since his brother is much more aloof than he is and didn't get as much socialization. His brother is still friendly but much less so with strangers. More the temp. I wanted in Judge.

LoLa fits the APBT standard temperament wise to a T. She pretty well fits the conformational standard too but not as well as I'd like.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm All Ears

All the paps fit bits and pieces of it. We've had 7 so far and they're all different to an extent. Rose is at one extreme of the breed and Mia is at the other extreme. Summer, Beau, Nard, Hiro and Harry have all been very moderate as far as the temperament goes and I think are in the realm of 'average papillon'. Mia is at the high extreme, probably not what most would expect from a papillon. Rose is ridiculously low key. Mia is much sharper than you'd expect and less stranger tolerant. Really Mia and Summer are not much alike in temperament.

Quote:
While every dog is an individual, Papillons in general have been genetically fine-tuned for hundreds of years to be companions to humans. They do not thrive in environments where there is little time for the dog, or with people who prefer a moderately demanding companion. Most Papillons will choose to NEVER be separated from their humans if possible. We have a joke about it - "Having a Papillon means never going to the bathroom by yourself again!"
Papillons thrive on stimulation - obedience work, agility, therapy, anything that gives them an opportunity to use their brains and shine for humans. With good care they often live into their late teens, and rarely outgrow their playful, puppyish ways. If you're looking for a more "ornamental" dog or one that will turn into a throw rug at some point in its life, you will likely find owning a Papillon more of a chore than a delight.
Typically, the Papillon is gregarious in nature, and especially males can be very lap-doggyish (females are usually a bit more aloof). Although this is a single-coated breed, Papillons DO SHED and are NOT HYPO-ALLERGENIC. And please don't confuse intelligence and trainability! Consistent, dedicated trainers delight in the aptitude this breed has for just about anything. But this is a breed that learns from every single experience, and an inconsistent trainer will not produce consistent results - even with very basic skills like housebreaking. Papillons never respond well to "forced" methods of training or punishment.
Quote:
The Papillon is generally outgoing and friendly, although how extroverted it will be with strangers varies with how it was raised. Both males and females make equally suitable pets, and of course, should always be neutered or spayed if not destined for the dog show ring. Papillons are generally very social with other animals, and make wonderful companions to other dogs--and cats too. A word of warning though--they ignore all size differential and will entice much larger dogs to play, often with disastrous results. Their preference is to be with people, not only to be cuddled in a lap, but to accompany walks, car trips, TV watching etc.
Papillons are active, lively dogs, although generally not nervous or yappy. They might alert you when someone is at the door but should quiet down immediately when that person has been admitted as a friend. Most Papillons retain their puppy playfulness to some degree throughout their lives. They travel well (car-sickness is rare), and enjoy the attention they draw wherever they go. A Papillon can change homes at any age and if suitably placed, will adjust happily.
My shelties were also all REALLY different from one another.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Both Chows are affectionate with family. Aesop is not reserved with strangers. At all. Goose is, though. Neither are very independent, either.

Jules fits the yorkie standard, temperament wise.

Nog does aside from not being too terrier-like
Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Felurian

Tallulah is classic, physically and temperamentally.

Kharma . . . there are so many standards that are all over the place (which is a good thing, as long as we can't agree on one single set of Fila standards the AKC won't touch us ), but temperamentally she is spot on, with the aberration that we have worked hard at allowing her to learn how to function and even thrive in the modern world so that she can be with me in many situations, and physically, if you pull up old, old photos of the Filas from the fazendas, she would fit right in. As far as working, she is absolutely correct.

Bimmer is one of a kind However, he's very close to the old GSDs, back when they were smaller and more athletic. He's also shown himself as a natural stock dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Except for the fact that my guys are both kinda whores with strangers and are definitely not soft, pretty much. Pepper, OTOH, doesn't like most other people and IS soft, and she is also of questionable intelligence sometimes LOL.
None of my three are yappy or nuisance barkers either. Payton can be an excitement barker right now during play, but we're working on self control and the OMG OMG OMG BALL type barking is rapidly going away... even when he's playing with the other dogs he is barking less.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Show Dog

Like Dekka said, most breed descriptions tend to be very wide-sweeping. Considering Pig's background is a complete mystery and there is a possibility that she doesn't have any Basenjis behind her, it could be purely coincidence that she matches some generic Basenji traits.

Quote:
The basenji is alert, affectionate, energetic, curious and reserved with strangers. It can be described as speedy, frisky, tireless at play, and teasing the owner into play. The Basenji is somewhat aloof, but can also form strong bonds with people and can become emotionally attached to a single human. Basenjis may not get along with non-canine pets. It is commonly patient, but does best with older considerate handlers. Basenjis dislike wet weather, like to climb, can easily get over chain wire fences, and are very clever at getting their own way. Most Basenji problems involve a mismatch between owner and pet.
The basenji has the unique properties of not barking (it makes a low, liquid ululation instead) and cleaning itself like a cat. Often, the Basenji is commonly referred to as the shrieking dog, or screaming child dog.
Basenjis often stand on their hind legs, somewhat like a meerkat, by themselves or leaning on something; this behavior is often observed when the dog is curious about something. Basenjis reveal their animal-of-prey nature by chasing after fast moving objects that cross their paths. According to the book The Intelligence of Dogs, they are the second least trainable dog.
Quote:
Basenji people say their breed is good at teaching you to pick up your house. Anything left out where the dog can find it is fair game to be chewed or eaten. You'll soon learn to protect your belongings by putting them out of reach of these inquisitive dogs.
Italics are just a partial match. Pig enjoyed swimming this past Summer, but typically hates the rain and will occasionally avoid puddles as if they were acid. She also has a wide range of very odd noises that she makes, an odd shriek being among them, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Basenji vocalizations.

Bear is just his own dog. He matches a few different Rottweiler descriptions and has the 'holy sh*t! ball!' mindset Labs are known for, but many of his traits could fit into any number of breed descriptions.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Duuuuude.

Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
The breed was originally bred as a hunting dog and noted for being easy to train and sweet-natured. The breed is generally more sensitive to correction than other hunting breeds, and harsh corrections are often unnecessary. Brittanys are all around sound dogs, as they are excellent family pets as well as working dogs in the field. Brittanys are eager to please, friendly, and sometimes sensitive dogs. They are great with kids. Brittanys are energetic dogs, and need at least an hour of vigorous exercise every day. The dogs are active and require frequent exercise and room to run, and a fenced yard is essential. At least one long walk is required daily to satisfy the needs of most Brittanys, and many Brittanys will need more than this. The Brittany makes an ideal companion for an active owner.[4] The breed sometimes gets a reputation for being crazy or uncontrollable, but these problems are almost invariably due to lack of exercise and training, and are not commonly seen in well cared-for dogs.
I like to call Rowan "the world's only lazy Brittany." He enjoys activity but does not get crazy unless he goes for longs periods of time (a week+) without getting some sort of stimulation. He's also not nearly as soft as most people describe Brittanys; he looks incredibly hurt when he's scolded but he bounces back almost immediately. As far as temperament though he's absolutely a Brit. Affectionate to the point of clingy, playful, LOOOOVES kids, great family pet. He's not the easiest dog to train, but he hasn't been what I consider difficult, either. He's just distractable. He also has no bird sense, which is odd, although squirrels better watch out.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Are we talking about dogs matching their breed standard/parent club's description of the breed? Or random breed site descriptions? Or stereotypes?

Like Laurelin posted about her experience with Paps, my Belgians and Belgians I know well are all a bit different. But they are all a bit the same too. I do think there is a range in any breed that can fall within what is "correct".

"The Belgian Sheepdog should reflect the qualities of intelligence, courage, alertness and devotion to master. To his inherent aptitude as a guardian of flocks should be added protectiveness of the person and property of his master. He should be watchful, attentive, and always in motion when not under command. In his relationship with humans, he should be observant and vigilant with strangers, but not apprehensive. He should not show fear or shyness. He should not show viciousness by unwarranted or unprovoked attack. With those he knows well, he is most affectionate and friendly, zealous of their attention, and very possessive. Viciousness is a disqualification." http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_sheepdog/

I'd say mine all can fit this description pretty well with some having more of certain traits than others. Most of them are a bit too friendly with strangers, although that doesn't mean they want them to get too personal either. Definitely very exuberant to see their friends though.

PyrShep
"He is dominated by his love for his work. He has the tendency to become passionately attached to his owner to the complete exclusion of all others and is astonishingly sensitive to his owner's moods. As a companion, he is very active and enthusiastic and insists upon being involved in the day's activities whatever they may be. He is very affectionate with the members of his immediate family, but is distrustful of strangers." http://www.akc.org/breeds/pyrenean_shepherd/

Savvy is pretty spot on with temperament in the PyrShep standard, except he's not terribly distrustful of strangers. However, if someone gives him a reason to be distrustful of them, he doesn't tend to forget about it. Someone I know teased teased him a bit months ago. Savvy still doesn't like him and may never like him.

Cardigans
"Temperament:
Even-tempered, loyal, affectionate, and adaptable. Never shy nor vicious."
http://www.akc.org/breeds/cardigan_welsh_corgi/index.cfm

Well their standard doesn't have much to say about temperament at all. I suppose Ziggy fits it as well as any dog LOL

GSD
"The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose." http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/

I have owned three GSDs and only one had what I'd consider a correct temperament for the breed. One was too reactive and the other, too friendly and mellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
He's also not nearly as soft as most people describe Brittanys; he looks incredibly hurt when he's scolded but he bounces back almost immediately.
My friend worried about softness when she was researching Brits because someone who had two show bred ones told her they were extremely soft. I couldn't imagine them being a soft breed, given the methods that are used to train them for field trials. Her's is similar to Rowan - biddable enough to realize he's being scolded but not soft.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Just try me..

LOL that description of basenji's almost matches Dekka perfectly!! (she barks was well as makes weird yodel noises and she is very easily trained)
Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Resident fainting goat

He fits his standard EXACTLY! lol It's kind of scary..

Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size. . Chihuahuas are alert dogs with terrier-like qualities. They are good with families if the children are gentle and patient. can be sensitive to cold temperatures. Smooth coated Chihuahuas need very little grooming due to their short hair. Long coats need occasional brushing but still require minimal grooming.