Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Corgi bum

Default Chloe's barking

When someone comes to the door, Chloe and Jack run to the door and bark their heads off. When I tell them to stop, Jack will, but Chloe won't. She barks continuously so that I can't even hear what the person is saying. She also comes up and sits at a persons feet and barks to try to get attention. Also if I'm outside and try to talk to the neighbor or anyone else, she'll bark. I know she's doing this for attention, and I don't give it to her when she acts like that, but she is soooo persistant. I'd really like to start working with her to correct this. Any help for you expert dog trainers would be much appreciated.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

I squirt mine in the face with a squirt bottle. My youngest yorkie girl is the same way, I can tell the other 3 to "knock it off" and they will stop and go back to lying down but not her.... However, once she sees the squirt bottle she usually stops but not before she gets that one last yip in...LOL
Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieLover
I squirt mine in the face with a squirt bottle. My youngest yorkie girl is the same way, I can tell the other 3 to "knock it off" and they will stop and go back to lying down but not her.... However, once she sees the squirt bottle she usually stops but not before she gets that one last yip in...LOL

That was a problem with Yukon and this was my slution too.

I use to have a little table at the front door with the squirt bottle and a candy dish of dog cookies. THe dish is still there full and gets well used.

Everytime Yukon barked we said quiet and sprayed him once right in the nose. It was straight water in the bottle nothing else. The second he stopped we rewarded. Now we say quiet and everyone is quiet and everyone gets the treat. Plus anyone who comes over hands a cookie to each pooch just to help build some confidence in the dogs.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Corgi bum

Thanks for the tip....that sounds like a great idea and I'll give that a try. What kind of treats do you use Yuck?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM
yuckaduck

I make my own, I bought an awesome book called making dog cookies the three bakery way. I use the recipes in there and make all kinds of different cookies for them. Then I break them all up and use them as treats. They love it.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Corgi bum

That sounds great...I'll have to check that bood out. Jack and Chloe DO NOT like the standard dog treat.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Corgi bum

*book (oops)
Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
yuckaduck

I got it at chapters!

Cooking the Three Dog Bakery Way
by: Mark Beckloff & Dan Dye
$21.00

I also use this one alot too also from Chapters

The Ultimate Dog Treat Cookbook
by: Liz Palika
$18.99

Canadian Prices!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Corgi bum

Thanks so much for the help.....I really do appreciate it...so will the neighbors.LOL
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like a plan. Something you can add is to make it a contest; whoever "sits down and shuts up" (for lack of a better description!) first gets the treat. The runner-up gets a "thank you" and a pat on the head. This is how I got my dogs competing to see who could perform the behavior I wanted first! Also, be sure you use the same command word (ours is "quiet") every time so your message is perfectly clear.