Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm wondering if they weren't thinking about this as a "calming wrap", as some autistic children seem to calm down more quickly if given some type of stable full-body contact; basically a larger version of swaddling clothes. However, it seems they've completely gone wrong with it.

I will say, however, that it's not entirely uncommon for children to leave out key details and parents to misconstrue an entire episode. My mother is a SpEd teacher, has been for decades, and just recently had a kid have a complete meltdown over having to write the word "jot". It ended with him being hauled out from under a table where he was having a full blown tantrum and taken to the office for a change of scenery so he could calm down. My mom called his mom, who demanded to know what they had been doing to him, because he "never" acted that way at home.

This was not the first time this kid had had a meltdown like that. He told his mom they were twisting his arm, etc, which was actually a fireman carry because he refused to walk down the hall on his own feet.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
PSD Partner

It is pretty hard to misconstrue a boy in a duffle bag with the drawstring closed. They admitted to doing it and even to doing it on more then one occassion. I don't care the reason behind it. There is never a call for putting a child in a duffle bag.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Kristen1980

I just can't believe someone came up with the idea of stuffing a child into a duffel bag, thought it was a good idea and then actually doing it! Wth is wrong with people?!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
It is pretty hard to misconstrue a boy in a duffle bag with the drawstring closed. They admitted to doing it and even to doing it on more then one occassion. I don't care the reason behind it. There is never a call for putting a child in a duffle bag.
How do we know if was a dufflebag again? Oh yes, Mom said so....

Look it's a body sox!
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
How do we know if was a dufflebag again? Oh yes, Mom said so....

Look it's a body sox!
Because they themselves state it was a bag. "At a meeting with school district officials, the bag was described as a "therapy bag," Baker said, though she wasn't clear exactly what that meant. She said her son would sometimes be asked to roll over a bag filled with balls as a form of therapy, but she didn't know her son was being placed in the bag. She said school officials told her it was not the first time they had put him in the bag."

Sorry but if I came to the school to pick up my child and found them in a bag with a drawstring closed at the top I too would call it a duffle bag. I don't care what kind of bag it was. To close any child in a bag like this is wrong. And I hope everyone involved is fired.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

yeah not to mention that if this is typical therapy for this child... why has the mother never heard of it before? You would think if anyone knew about therapies for their child it would be the mother but she's never had a body sock or bag mentioned to her before? In that case I would say it's an inappropriate course of action without the mothers consent.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Dafuq?

Wow. That's just... wow. I've never even heard of such a thing. Its like one of those things you almost don't believe when you hear it.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 PM
APBT crazy!

WTF is wrong with people?! I hope she sues their asses and pulls him out of that ignorant IGNORANT school. So what, children misbehave. No need to put them in a duffel bag. Bastards. I hope all of them lose their job, you just don't treat people's children like that, especially a special needs kid! I'd kill them all if they did that to my child. I hope she plans on never taking him there again, grr.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Thats my thing....lets pretend this actually was supposed to be a form of therapy that they were using...no way it should in ANY way be ok without having been discussed and approved by his parents first.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

Even if this "bag" was some form of therapy, the school had NO RIGHT to practice it on the child without the parents approval/knowledge

So if I read somewhere that holding kids upside down by their ankles for 5 hours helps them calm down I have every right to do it to students?! HELL NO. It just doesn't make sense