Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I think if Bun's was spayed it would make her alot more docile, but its too much of a risk for us to put her under.
Do you think males would be less aggressive? Also, has she had any health issues with her not being spayed?

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Do you think males would be less aggressive? Also, has she had any health issues with her not being spayed?
I have no idea about the males, but I know Buns is pretty healthy. We have not had any issues reguarding her health with her not being spayed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Okay, thanks! I'd like to get mine spayed/neutered regardless, but it's good to know you haven't had any issues with not spaying.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Okay, thanks! I'd like to get mine spayed/neutered regardless, but it's good to know you haven't had any issues with not spaying.
My last girl wasn't spayed, she got to 8, without any problems. However from being in a rabbit forum, I've found thats actually quite lucky!

My Photos
Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

I've had quite a few rabbits, just got a NZW doe yesterday. Unlimited hay & water, a bowl of pellets (.Timothy based is supposedly better), lots of vegetables & grazing (I never purposefully limited either). Vets are expensive, and I've found rabbits very delicate. Often when they're sick they're finished no matter how much $$ you throw into them or at what vet's. Be sure and ask your vet what their rabbit anesthesia survival rate is.

I have found males less aggressive. I don't think I ever had a male that bit/growled/lunged. That said, sweetest rabbit i ever owned/met was a doe and the meanest I've encountered was a buck. Males tend to spray urine unless neutered.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

As a current non-rabbit person, but someone would like own one someday, I have a really, REALLY hard time swallowing the mantra that all behavioral and health problems in pet rabbits come from having their gonads. This is only compounded by things like this:

Quote:
Spayed or neutered rabbits that live in the house on the proper diet have a life span of ten to thirteen years.
Unspayed/unneutered rabbits that live outside have an average life span of three years.
*facepalm*

I hope the issue with that "fact" is obvious.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, ive had rabbits constantly for over a decade, intact and altered and haven't noticed a difference healthwise. Havent noticed a difference "human-aggressive" wise. I've had rabbits altered that were altered ASAP that were nippy and growly, had rabbits altered at several months to a year that retained prior personality. I'll have to think about whether rabbit-aggression changed much. My sweet rabbit was always sweet and my most aggressive remained aggressive but I'll have to think about the in-betweens.

However, I do think altering helped spraying behavior in males ( I'll have to contemplate my evidence as it's been 5 years or so since I've had an intact male)

As far as 80% of does getting uterine cancer by 4, I suspect that's BS at least in part (though I'm not blaming SarahHound as I know HRS and every other modern pet rabbit keeping organization claims this)

I should ask the breeder I bought the NZW from if it's rare for a doe to make it past four.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Erm I had about 9 intact females over the years. None were spayed and the 7 I had their whole lives lived 6-8 years. Also had about 3 bucks, but I only had two their whole lives, they had a similar lifespan. All were handled regularly at home, and annually while showing were handled by strangers, and all but one were people-friendly. All but one (same one) were pretty friendly with other rabbits as well.

I've seen the dead-by-4 claim before and wondered, but my info is anecdotal at best so take it for what it is.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Shai did you notice your bucks spraying?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

No but they had their own dedicated building and I wasn't looking for it. I was pretty young at the time.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13