Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
woof!

Question What opened your eyes?

What was the factor (s) that opened your eyes from the lies of the bad kibble brands? that factor that made you discover the true behind all the agressive propaganda?

For me there was many factors:

When I was a little, we had a GSD/ husky mix called Oso (bear in spanish) , his first couple of years he was fed home cooked but then the pedigree brand was becoming popular in my country.

So we went wit the trend and it was also recommended by a vet and we stared to feed it when there was no pedigree at the store we also fed him dog chow or alpo .

This was Oso when he was like 3 years old, he was fed homecooked and table scraps at the time.

This was Oso at 9 years old, he was fed pedigrre/ dog chow /alpo and table scraps.

Notice the dull dry coat, and he shed a lot and had zits and bald parts on tummy, also he went compleatly blind a year after this picture and lost many teeth, he died at the age of 13.

Sadly we believed the vets told us, and they were telling us that it was "the age" and "the breed"

Some years after his death we find out about the 2007 insidents, and how nasty some kibbles can be, now all Osos isuess makes senses.

I feel so bad we fed him this trash if we only knew what we know now.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

I first started learning about good dog foods when I joined this forum in 2008 - just started picking things up here and there. That was my first real introduction to a raw diet as well. I started working at a pet food store in 2009, and that REALLY solidified everything.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

I was really fortunate--the shelter we adopted Lucy from gave us a list of "approved" foods/brands to pick from. I started her off on premium foods and never tried anything else.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
and Spy.

I can't think of one time in particular, I learnt from chaz though and slowly just picked up bits and pieces here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Just try me..

Doing my own research. When I decided I was going to get into breeding JRTs I figured I needed to feed them the best I could. I then realized I had no idea what was the best.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Long after Buzz was diagnosed with allergies. He was 5-6 years old at that point.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Slave to the Aussie

I like to think i never had my eyes closed but what i actually think was i never had a reason to open them.

My family has always fed raw. My grandpa told me his parents did and when dog food became mainstream my grandpa decided he didn't need to fork out extra money for something he didn't need and so the cycle of raw feeding continued.

It never occurred to me that i should do something different until i started to get into training and saw how dogs changed "over night" after switching to raw food at our house. That was when i started to look into "dog foods" and when i found my first dog forums.

Last edited by katielou; 12-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

I joined my first dog message board when I was almost 14. We never really gave it a lot of thought before then. Our dogs were healthy looking, and we'd been feeding what we thought was an excellent food for years (Nutro Natural Choice). It wasn't until I saw people talking about better foods on that board that I realized I should maybe look into things a bit. In fact, if it wasn't for joining that board, I wouldn't have learned even half the things I know now by this point. I am sure I'd have gotten there eventually, but joining that forum sort of jump started everything I guess. I was always a dog obsessed kid and read multiple different dog books and got involved with training and home and such, but I wouldn't know nearly as much about nutrition, behaviour, clicker training, etc. without becoming involved in message boards like these that are available to dog owners everywhere. Be they experienced or novice.

I never really had a reason to switch foods, but I convinced my family to try something better after reading things online and we haven't looked back. I can't honestly say I've noticed vast improvements, but there have definitely been some. I am sure there'd have been more if we'd been feeding a lesser food than what we had. And just the sheer knowledge I've gained about ingredients and what they are and what they mean for dogs is invaluable. I love knowing now what I am putting into my dogs' bodies and knowing I am doing the best I am able to for them, as opposed to just buying a food because somebody told me it was good and not knowing why.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Had no choice -- itchy scratchy vomity malnourished ditchpuppy had a very particular digestive system which demanded I educate myself and fast.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I joined Chaz and learned how inappropriate the Pedigree and Purina we were feeding the dog and cats was. No more of that ever since. Took a few more years and joining a cat forum for me to realize how bad dry food is for cats.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!