Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default My friend needs some Chazzer help!

A good friend of mine, and her fiance, are moving to North Carolina at the end of February.
They are getting their first place together when they go to NC, it will be a 1 bedroom apartment.
But they are also looking for their first "baby" as a couple.

Their doggy criteria:
- when full grown will be under 30 lbs.
- Coat type doesn't matter as long as it does not require professional grooming (she had a Cairn Terrier that died about 6 months ago, and her Cairn was just a few weeks shy of his 12th birthday when he died. But she never took Joe-Joe to a pro groomer, she did grooming herself)
- She wants a dog that has a good amount of energy but nothing insane like a Brittany
- She wants to do obedience. And maybe showing, but that isn't her main goal with a dog. Her and Joe-Joe did obedience and they did VERY well with it, so she wants to do that again.
- Um... that's all I can remember right now. If yall need anymore info, just ask me and I'll call her and ask her lol

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie will greatly appreciate it. I speak highly of yall to her
Old 12-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Professional Nerd

Corgi? Cocker?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Corgi? Cocker?
She has looked into Corgis, but for her they are a little to independent.
She wants a dog that will literally live at her feet lol
Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

When I was looking at smaller(ish) dogs, I really liked the Field Spaniel (in theory - never met one, but I did talk with a breeder). They're larger than 30 pounds, though, but still not "huge".

Maybe a well bred American Eskimo? Keeshond? Boston Terrier? Rat Terrier? Generic shelter mutt?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
When I was looking at smaller(ish) dogs, I really liked the Field Spaniel (in theory - never met one, but I did talk with a breeder). They're larger than 30 pounds, though, but still not "huge".

Maybe a well bred American Eskimo? Keeshond? Boston Terrier? Rat Terrier? Generic shelter mutt?
Well she is going to look at shelters once they move to NC.
If she gets one before they leave, she wants a breeder pup (here in Moultrie, it is d@mn near impossible to find a small dog. Most dogs in shelters here are labs, lab mixes, shepherds, shepherd mixes, or herding breeds that are 45+ lbs. I think I have seen maybe 1 dog under 30 lbs in our shelter in the last year).

But she is *thinking* about getting a terrier again. But she wants to keep her opinions open and look into other breeds.

As far as the american eskimo and keeshond go, she doesn't like POOFY coats (which is why she won't get a Pomeranian). That is the only coat she doesn't like.

She is so freakin picky about everything, I knew deciding what dog she wanted would take a scientist to figure out lol
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I know she said no professional grooming, but a toy/mini poodle would actually be perfect for what she is looking for. She could keep it short and shave it every month or two to keep it low maint. They are small, super smart, naturals at obedience, live for their people, not independent but think for themselves some, super affectionate, and both would fit in her size range, not spastic energy. Perfect.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:14 PM
*Now with Snark*

How about a border terrier? They're cute as a bug's butt, can be hand stripped at home, and since she already likes terriers they might be her thing
Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Very Food Agressive

The real question is: where in NC?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM
and Spy.

Papillon maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
I know she said no professional grooming, but a toy/mini poodle would actually be perfect for what she is looking for. She could keep it short and shave it every month or two to keep it low maint. They are small, super smart, naturals at obedience, live for their people, not independent but think for themselves some, super affectionate, and both would fit in her size range, not spastic energy. Perfect.
She might actually go for mini poodle! She has always loved Poodles (she grew up with a black standard one, along with 2 Rotties. And she got her Cairn terrier when she was in Elementary school. Stephanie is 2 years older than I. Our birthdays are 4 days apart. When I turn 21 next month, she turns 23 four days later! lol)

But she was worried about a poodle's coat and the grooming, so I will definitely pass this on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
How about a border terrier? They're cute as a bug's butt, can be hand stripped at home, and since she already likes terriers they might be her thing
I will ask her to check into them. I personally know very little about them but she might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Papillon maybe?
She *likes* Paps but she is worried about how tiny they are. She is use to "hardy" terriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
The real question is: where in NC?
Some little, mom and pop town in northeast NC.
I will have to ask her cause I can't even pronounce the name of the town, much less spell it lol