Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Island dweller

It still could be medical even if she doesn't whine. She may just have to go ... now! (is she going?) I'd still make a call to the vet it's usually free.

When did it start and how long has it been going on?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Fila Love

Nedim, I am having problems with Brutus also. He has been perfect no messes after having him for two days. Now, for about two weeks, he has started peeing. He doesn't drop the whole load, but rather does a zig zag line of drops. Then, it is like he suddenly remembers,oh yeah I am supposed to whine if I want out...and he whines. I don't know about the yelling, I just look at him and say you know you are supposed to potty outside. Get outside and potty. He then finishes. For a few days we are fine, then bang here we go again. It is almost like some toddlers. They start playing and either forget, or hold it so long they can't hold it anymore and wait to late. Yuckaduck said "when puppys are about 8 months old their brains fall out." maybe Brutes has fallen out early. I don't know. Whatever, I am keeping the carpet cleaner handy. I hope I can find his brain somewhere and put it back in so this will end quickly.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
It still could be medical even if she doesn't whine. She may just have to go ... now! (is she going?) I'd still make a call to the vet it's usually free.

When did it start and how long has it been going on?
She just peed again in the kitchen. No whining or anything, just got up, went into the kitchen, and came back into the livingroom and sat down. I'll make a call tomorrow when I get home from school.

It started a few months back and has been going on ever since.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Fila Love

Hope you get it straightened out. It could be a uti. If it is, she can't help it. Yelling won't help. Good Luck, she's such a sweetie.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten
Hope you get it straightened out. It could be a uti. If it is, she can't help it. Yelling won't help. Good Luck, she's such a sweetie.

Thanks, filarotten. Ill call in tomorrow
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Puppy Dog

Yes, definitely have the vet check it out...

But, what I've found works well if you catch them IN THE ACT, is to make some loud noises (i usually go "eeee eeee eeee eee" or "woah woah woah" in a loud voice). not to scare them or scold them, but just suprise them. suprise them enough to get them to stop, then quickly pick her up and run outside as fast as you can and place her in the grass. i usually try to pick the same spot outside so they get the idea that "this is where i pee."

This method does involve having your dog within reach at ALL times when they are loose in the house. If you can't keep her in a confined area with you, then put a leash on her and tie the end to a belt. Continue close supervision as long as necessary.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Yes, definitely have the vet check it out...

But, what I've found works well if you catch them IN THE ACT, is to make some loud noises (i usually go "eeee eeee eeee eee" or "woah woah woah" in a loud voice). not to scare them or scold them, but just suprise them. suprise them enough to get them to stop, then quickly pick her up and run outside as fast as you can and place her in the grass. i usually try to pick the same spot outside so they get the idea that "this is where i pee."
Lol, Ill give that a shot Elle. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

I'd definitely suspect an infection if she's not acting restless first, sniffing around, going to the door, (if she did that before) but instead walking across the room and suddenly going. That with the frequency. Did you say she was pretty reliably housebroken a few months ago?

Watch her like a hawk....maybe keep her off carpeted areas for now, just play with her in the kitchen. I wouldn't yell at the pee. I know people do that, but I think that's off the wall and she probably won't make a connection. It will only make her nervous. Just do like Elle said after checking with a vet on her physical condition...remember to praise like crazy when she goes outside, even give a treat. good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
I'd definitely suspect an infection if she's not acting restless first, sniffing around, going to the door, (if she did that before) but instead walking across the room and suddenly going. That with the frequency. Did you say she was pretty reliably housebroken a few months ago?

Watch her like a hawk....maybe keep her off carpeted areas for now, just play with her in the kitchen. I wouldn't yell at the pee. I know people do that, but I think that's off the wall and she probably won't make a connection. It will only make her nervous. Just do like Elle said after checking with a vet on her physical condition...remember to praise like crazy when she goes outside, even give a treat. good luck.
She'll sometimes walk around and like sniff the floor, but other times, I get absolutely no indication that she needs to go out. I dont get it, she used to be so good, always whined and even yelped when she needes to go out. Now, nothing.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Rusty but Trusty

definetely get her checked out. Our Mack, and Shelby, had the same problem. Mack would be great for weeks and as soon as he got some freedom in the house he would start peeing in the house agian. He would even come into the room without warning stare at you and pee. If you made a loud noise to startle him he would just keep staring and going. Shelby had an infection and was given antibotics for it and it got better but she was never one to tell us she had to go out though. She'd always go "hide" the mess in the basement (I think she was trying to blame it on the cats). If she was reliable before and suddenly stopped then maybe something medical. I would get some really good carpet cleaning stuff made specifically for pets and clean the carpets good so she can't smell her pee in the house.