Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

We sell them where I work and I hear mixed reviews on them. Some dogs manage to make them last a few days, while others make them last anywhere from 15mins to an hour. I haven't tried them on my dogs, but with the speed in which Dance chews through an antler or a Bully Stick (or anything, really) I don't imagine a Himalayan Chew would last her very long. Antlers are still my favourite for a relatively long lasting chew. A few weeks is much better than a few minutes. Himalayan Chews also seem pretty expensive to me in relation to the amount of chewing time it'll last.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

We sell our large ones for $10... I get them for about $4 or $5. My dogs power chew through a lot of things, but I also don't let my dogs plow through them in one chew session.

Antlers are.my favorite though. they last a few weeks and I get those half price too
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

I've only bought one once because they were really expensive and Tucker wasn't thrilled with it. It's hard and I think would last longer than a bully stick (I can't really compare because he likes bully sticks so much more). but they are shorter than a bully stick, and I like to throw his chews out once they get to a size he could choke on. And he dropped his Himalayan on the floor and it snapped in half so then instead of one big chew that would last a long time I had two small chews that were almost ready to get tossed, so that was upsetting.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Show Dog

I picked one up for Bear sometime last year and he showed absolutely no interest in it. He maybe licked at it once or twice. I completely forgot that we even had one lying around until I brought Pig home. She found it and started chewing on it. She put a respectable dent in it over the course of a week or so (chewing on it for only a few minutes at a time before something else caught her attention). I guess Bear decided it must be good, because he ended up picking it up and demolished it like it was nothing. The thing was gone within minutes.

I never really noticed a strong odor...unless you actually pick the thing up and sniff it. Yeah, don't do that. It's not like, god-awful, but it's definitely not pleasant at close range.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Yeah, the idea of an odor had me worried. They're made from hardened yak's milk- something I could imagine reeking!

I think I'm going to skip on them- they DO look really small, and I've had a dog gulp a piece of a Flossie before that caused a blockage. I'll stick to bully sticks and antlers, and then take those away when there's a nub left.

Thanks so much for all of the help!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Actually, I don't find them to smell at all really.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Yeah i don't think they smell at all.
I just stuck one right up to my nose and it really smells like baby formula.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Sport Model Pug

The ones we have sort of smell like smokey campfire.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Resurrecting a dead thread: Okay, we just ordered a couple, and I gave one to Lucy tonight.

OMG

An hour later, it is still a decently large piece of yak (probably still half there!). WOW. This is a dog who goes through a standard sized bully stick in 5 minutes. Her antler was the size of a pencil nub in a week (and she showed relatively no interest in that, just chewed it out of boredom). This thing is worth the cost, no doubt.

No real smell from a reasonable distance (I haven't gotten in her face and sniffed it). Bully sticks are far stinkier in my experience (even the good ones).

I will absolutely pay $10 for a couple hours of peace from her!