Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Just try me..

I have to say I know many a pap that lives with larger dogs. Its a good thing that no one told them that they were too fragile.

I get that people want to be careful with their breed. But I do see paps with kids, I do see paps living in homes full of BC and other larger dogs. These dogs live long full active lives.

I only mentioned the ACD because I have seen quite a few that are doing well with kids. Maybe its a regional thing.. the ones here are quite a bit smaller than BCs and while very drivey aren't all horribly edgy dogs (at least the confo and combo lines) I have known quite a few farms that have them and they are good with kids... even the badly bred ones. But then again maybe I just know a lot of dog smart people.

(that comic, which is one of my fave, doesn't make much sense if you are leaving the argument.. only if you are staying)
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 AM
& the Muttly Crew

-- it's not just you. ACDs are popular family dogs around here, and are handled by kids all the time. Most of them are working (to one degree or another) farm dogs as well, but not all.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Professional Nerd

When I was growing up here, ACDs were very popular. When I was in 4H, a good half of the dogs entered were ACDs. They aren't nearly as popular now, but you still see them.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

Smooth coat BC.

The BC we had when I was growing up let me do anything with him despite me (as a small child) knowing jack about training and him being an explosively drivey dog.

And my parent's current dog Will was actually a kid's 4H project as an adolescent. He adores kids and is perfect with them. We have only ever had rough coat BC's. I bet that kid that had Will was pretty upset when its parent's sold him to a guy who had intentions of trialing him.... which he never did, was just a kennel dog until my parent's bought him through a broker. He is just sweet as pie and low key personality-wise while still having good focus and drive. He's a great ranch dog. He actually was somewhat helpful yesterday when we wormed calves, which is amazing given how my stepdad is not the best handler around and Will was a finished dog when we bought him and smart enough to know my stepdad wasn't that experienced with trained herding dogs, lol.

THe 4H kids in this area actually did cow herding demos before the rodeo this last summer. They were obviously just green kids and dogs, but it was awesome that they got to do that! Everyone here has BC's, lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Not a wheaten terrier. LOL That was my childhood dog, despite being raised with gsp and apbt, my dad said I could either have a wheaten or an airedale. Said Wheaten is still kickin' it but is now my dads dog. Terrible, no-good, very bad obedience dog. Sweet as pie though and the most tolerant dog I have ever met, to this day.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Show Dog

The girl who got Justy from my last litter has a Papillon. A Papillon who lives with a Border Collie, Golden Retriever, and a Leonberger .... all of which are able to play and socialize all day. I am happy to report the little one is alive and well.

As for the original topic, I am one who thinks any breed can make a good dog for someone. I know alot of people who say Border Collies are not a good first dog ... but many of my puppies have gone to homes where they are the family first dog. At some events I go to here, there are children handling everything from a Chihuahua to a Great Dane. I just think the family / couple / person just needs to know the type of dog they are getting into and what traits may be common to that dog. They shouldn't go into it thinking a working Border Collie will be a dog that just wants to be in the house sleeping all the time, for example.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

My Competitive OB instructors have Papillions! AND.....LoLa the pit bull PLAYS with them...yes, that's right, they let their very fragile dogs play with a bully breed, so far, there have been no injuries....well other than a puncture in LoLas ear cause she was being a brat!

I think sometimes that the attitude of some little dog people is what keeps me from owning one. Treat it like a DOG.

I still vote for Bostons!!!!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

What about a Bouvier or a rescued Bouvier. I grew up with Bouves and they were all great, awesome nanny/kids dogs. They all adored kids and were always gentle with my brother and I even though they were like twice our size.

My parents Bouve Emme goes bonkers for kids. And Bouves seem to want to really, really please their owners. They live for it. Although I probably would suggest going with a Show breeder who does obed than a working line as I know the working lines are more along the line of ACDs. They are a cattle dog after all

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
What about a Bouvier or a rescued Bouvier. I grew up with Bouves and they were all great, awesome nanny/kids dogs. They all adored kids and were always gentle with my brother and I even though they were like twice our size.

My parents Bouve Emme goes bonkers for kids. And Bouves seem to want to really, really please their owners. They live for it. Although I probably would suggest going with a Show breeder who does obed than a working line as I know the working lines are more along the line of ACDs. They are a cattle dog after all
Might want to re-read the criteria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Dog savvy family, 10-year-old girl. Prefer something smaller and shorthaired. Dog will be shown in 4H obedience, maybe AKC juniors.

What would you suggest?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Dafuq?

You know you can't get away from APBTs/AmStaffs forever, right Aimee? Sooner or later, you're gonna get the itch. Your sickness may be in remission right now, but you will have a flare-up. *mega evil cackle*

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...