Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,117
Default

Izzie and I celebrate Pugmas... It annoys the religious in our city.

It's funny though, there's been a couple debates about it online on the local paper website with lots screaming about jesus is the reason for the season and people are like "uhh well actually the pagans....", entertaining.
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I seriously don't get why people find things to have issues with. I just don't get it. Out of everything happening you get up in arms because someone said Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays? REALLY? Someone is wishing you happiness and wellness and you can still manage to find something offensive about that?

That being said we have a customer that comes in that is rather vocal about it being CHRISTmas. And by rather vocal I mean buttons, rants and the whole shebang. And I'll be honest, I wish him a Happy Holidays every time because it does make me giggle a little inside. He's lucky I don't wish him a Happy Yuletide.

But that's just my childish sadistic streak showing.

Gotta agree with you there. Surely, in the whole spectrum of life, saying or writing it not quite to one's liking isn't the worst thing going on in the world. LOL.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,639
Default

T, I just talked about this with my mom.

While in Walmart today, I had a nice conversation with the lady in line behind me at the check-out. Upon leaving, I turned and said, "Merry Christmas" and smiled. She replied, "Happy Hanukkha" and smiled. We both smiled and then parted ways. No bad feelings on her end. No bad feelings on mine.

I don't care if someone replies with "Happy Holidays", "Happy Kwanzaa", "Merry Christmas", or "Bah Hambug". It's about respecting one another, enjoying a smile, and going on to do it all over again throughout the day.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Izzie and I celebrate Pugmas... It annoys the religious in our city.

It's funny though, there's been a couple debates about it online on the local paper website with lots screaming about jesus is the reason for the season and people are like "uhh well actually the pagans....", entertaining.
Most Christians recognize that this day was actually a secular holiday. It's just that Christianity chose to try and put emphasis on what they believe in by also chosing that day in order to get more people's attention (or so I suppose). Chances are that it was late spring or early summer when Jesus was born as evidenced by statementes made in the Bible.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
MandyPug's Avatar
MandyPug MandyPug is offline
Sport Model Pug
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Most Christians recognize that this day was actually a secular holiday. It's just that Christianity chose to try and put emphasis on what they believe in by also chosing that day in order to get more people's attention (or so I suppose). Chances are that it was late spring or early summer when Jesus was born as evidenced by statementes made in the Bible.
The entertainment comes from the real crazy religious folk who try to tell people that christians had the holiday first. There's name calling on their side usually.
__________________

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
AliciaD's Avatar
AliciaD AliciaD is offline
On second thought...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,512
Default

I NEVER say anything about the holidays because you never know, they could be Jehovah's Witnesses. I'll say it back if someone says it to me, but I feel weird changing my standard "hey" or "yo" just because it's the month of December.

But really, what gets me is when people complain because there is a Christmas tree and a Menorah at the library. It's a PUBLIC library, we have books on Christianity, and books on Judaism, I mean come on now. Just let it go, it won't hurt you!

People take it all too seriously.
__________________

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM
AliciaD's Avatar
AliciaD AliciaD is offline
On second thought...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
The entertainment comes from the real crazy religious folk who try to tell people that christians had the holiday first. There's name calling on their side usually.
Which reminds me of a pro-life person arguing with me that the gays stole "day of silence". Like really? You don't think that the concept of a day in silence, comes from having a moment of silence in memory of people who have passed on. Do you really think that pro-lifers own that entire concept and that the gays could possibly steal it. Say what?
__________________

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Sweet72947's Avatar
Sweet72947 Sweet72947 is offline
Squishy face
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post

But really, what gets me is when people complain because there is a Christmas tree and a Menorah at the library. It's a PUBLIC library, we have books on Christianity, and books on Judaism, I mean come on now. Just let it go, it won't hurt you!
Haha, they'd hate my apartment. We have a Catholic Cross, a Star of David, and a Buddha statue all sitting on the mantel. We happen to believe that all religions are equal.

I don't care what people wish me, if you say happy holidays or merry christmas or whatever, its all the same to me.
__________________
FOHA - Adopt!



"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,639
Default

Since when should people stay silent so they don't offend others? It's not like I'm insulting someone by calling them a foul name. IMO the "receiving" person has every right and opportunity to ignore such a spoken sentiment.
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
NicoleLJ's Avatar
NicoleLJ NicoleLJ is offline
PSD Partner
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,552
Default

I was wondering when a post like this was going to happen. Since the end of december dozens of posts a day on Facebook are Christians lashing out very nastily about people saying anything other then Merry Christmas. One example was yesterday a person put up "It is Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays you Stupid ****". Really? Come on. If that person does believe in Christ and this is such an issue for them then do they really think Jesus would condone that? I don't think so. I posted on my Facebook asking my friends if they wanted to exchange Holiday Cards. One really religious person took it upon themselves to send me a very nasty email about that. My last two blog posts are about this very issue.

Who cares what each person says. The fact someone thought I was important enough to share their joy and cheer of the season with me is more imporant. I do say Happy Holidays. And if anyone says any other reply back then I smile because of the meaning to them and whay they are trying to convey when they reply with a Merry Christmas or what ever.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site