Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Easy way to do curly/wavy hair?

Anyone have a good tutorial? I LOVE my hair done curly but I can never seem to do it myself. My hair is pretty fine and mostly straight. I'm trying to find some ways to get some volume in it. It's just so.... blah.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Water Junkie

I wash my hair in the evenings, so after a shower when it is still wet, I put curling mousse in it. Then I get my sister to french braid my hair in 3 places (I have thicker hair, but someone I know who has thinner hair just does one big french braid and ours turned out the same). Then sleep in them while they dry. Take them out in the morning, run my fingers through it a bit to get the braids out, and lots of hairspray! Ta da! It stays curly all day long. It's the only way I can get curls to stay in my hair for that long.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yup, braiding while still wet can help, especially if your hair is fine! My sister can do that. I tried it once and woke up, unbraided my hair, and still had wet, straight hair, LOL. But my hair is ridiculously thick.

If you want to try using a curling iron, get a good one that goes to like 450 degrees. Mine is Hot Tools, I bought it at Ulta and it only cost like $30 or something on sale. It's AMAZING what a difference a really good, hot curling iron will make. The cheapie Conairs won't do the job. You can also buy one of those 3 barrel wave irons if you just want some wave to it rather than all-out curl.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Felurian

My hair is ridiculously straight, fine textured and THICK. Not to mention curl resistant. The only thing I've ever used that worked, held curl and didn't take way more effort than I'm willing to put in is one of those Caruso molecular roller sets. The silly things work. I think Sally Beauty supply carries them.

Other than that, for a bit of wave and a lot of body I sleep on mine damp Since I've been using the SLS and paraben free shampoos I don't need conditioner anymore and that really helps with my hair having more body. Every once in awhile I'll use a little conditioner, but I put just a dab in with my shampoo and use it that way.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

My hair is naturally wavy/curly but I usually wear it fairly straight because it's also naturally wild and frizzy and after I brush it it's over. But if I sleep with it wet it REALLY curly in the morning.

I have yet to find a product that will help it stay curly and non-crazy.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Twin 2.0

Only two methods really work for me. I've got rather fine hair.

A) Put my hair up in a bun while wet and sleep on it. Bonus if you can leave it up through the next day before taking it down.

B) Blow-dry until only slightly damp and then use a styling spritz on each section of hair before you use a curling iron on it. If you see wisps of steam come off your hair as you apply the iron, even better. Then follow up with a ridiculous amount of hairspray like Big Sexy Hair All-Nighter Hold.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
woop

I've got pin straight, super fine hair that goes limp no more than an hour after it has been styled. The ONLY curl that holds in my hair for almost a whole work day is when I curl it with a straightening iron.

I think I use a 3/4" straightener, but I'd prefer larger for bigger curls. The result is excellent, though!

Edit: And just to add, it is very quick to do if you have fine/thin hair. Takes me no more than 10 minutes.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

I have these: Curlformers.

They take forever if you don't blow dry your hair in them but it's worth it for me. I don't like heat setting my hair because it's already thin and splitty a lot of the time. I've heard that you can sleep in them but I don't see any way that would be comfortable. I've used them quite a bit and I've only had the curl come out once - when I took them out while my hair was still damp.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm All Ears

Thanks guys!

The lady that did my hair last weekend for the party used a straightener. The next day I felt bold and decided to try it out myself... it flopped badly. My hair just stuck out every which way.

My hair is awful and goes flat so fast. It's driving me crazy. I hate how it always looks terrible no matter what I do.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

What I do is blow dry my hair upside down to get lots of body and then curl it with a straightner.

Laur, have you tried using hair spray at all??

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff