Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 PM
swimming upstream

congrats--I hope you love love love the new job!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Wooohooo, congrats!!

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, now that I've looked over all the benefit package stuff, I'm just not sure what to do. The benefits where I am are better, way better. But my growth potential there is pretty much zero unless there's a miracle of some kind. My growth potential there is... ??? Pretty sure I'll get a raise of some kind after 90 days but how much? And they don't do annual raises, they do raises based on profitability of the company and performance (not too different than how the station is really.) They haven't gotten raises there in four years, we haven't gotten raises in that long either - plus our pay cuts plus the people that got fired. They didn't lose anybody over there.

my head hurts.
part of me thinks I should just do it. I hate my job anyway.
but I hate to dump a better benefits package just because I hate my job and also because there MIGHT be better growth potential over there. In all honesty I don't know. I asked about future salary but got a bit of a roundabout answer.

but what's my other option? stay at a job I hate and keep hoping a better position comes along..? for how long do you wait?

ugh. =<

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Durp Dog

Maybe take the other job and keep your eye out for other opportunities? Because your happiness matters too.

Not many people thoroughly enjoy working, but it doesn't need to feel like torture.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Water Junkie

Is there any possibility that the benefit package will change/get better? As you progress, does it change?

My advice would be to think about what you love doing. Are you happier where you are, or will you be happier doing this new job? Then take into consideration the pay differences (if any)? Whose salary is higher?

And then, sometimes, you just have to take a leap - even if it may look like you might fall.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Is there any possibility that the benefit package will change/get better? As you progress, does it change?

My advice would be to think about what you love doing. Are you happier where you are, or will you be happier doing this new job? Then take into consideration the pay differences (if any)? Whose salary is higher?

And then, sometimes, you just have to take a leap - even if it may look like you might fall.
It doesn't change or get better. It MIGHT in the future if they renegotiate, but that's not likely. Most likely the rates will just go up. The only thing that will change is that I'll get more vacation time eventually. BUT my vacation time (which I use for trialing) will be severely cut and it will take TEN YEARS before I get back to where I'm currently at with the station. X_X I also get a number of personal days at work, and the new job offers one a year... that's it. You don't get more personal days the longer you work there, you just get one personal day a year. Sick days are about even though.

I will probably be HAPPIER with the new job... quite honestly I am physically ill with my job right now. =/ But the finances are a big issue. The benefits especially. The thing is, the pay is exactly the same. I already know I will not likely make more money at the station for a long, long time, if at all, unless things work out and I DO end up getting the job change I have went for. As for the new job, I dunno when that one will result in more pay either.
So if both jobs pay the same and both jobs have a question mark when it comes to "will I get more money and when?" BUT the new job costs me more for worse benefits... the better financial move is to stay where I am.

The GM gave me some really good advice and he said to me "What you really need to ask yourself, above all else, is - is this going to take me where I want to go in life? Is this going to get me any closer to that goal?" And I was standing out in the yard with the dogs and thinking about that and I realized... no. It's not. It's not going to get me any closer, and may even set me back some with the benefits issues. From a practical standpoint I think it might be a bad move. I mean, in my head I'm thinking "okay, if I get a raise then it'll be more even." But what if I don't get a raise?? Then I'm right back where I started, looking and looking for a new job with better pay, except my benefits aren't very good and are expensive.

stupid frickin' GM giving me good advice.

also you can't wear flip-flops there. >=| this is a huge problem. (kidding. sorta.)

I think I'm going to turn it down. =< and I just have to hope something will pan out at the station or that I will find something else I guess. I want to cry, I mean I REALLY want to cry. I was so frickin' excited this morning when they called to offer it to me. But at the same time I also feel like this is the right decision. Like I honestly feel in my heart that turning it down is the right thing to do, besides my head telling me the financials are definitely shaky. I'm even trying to remember how many times I've wanted to just walk out in the last month and yet I still think turning it down is the right move.
ugh. but I may seriously regret it later.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 AM
orange iguanas.

Aww Beanie. That's a crappy situation. You want the job that you'll be happier with but you don't want it to put you in a bad spot financially.... I don't know what I would do.

When do you have to make a decision?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Top Dog

I'd be honest with the new job. Tell them you want to take it, but financially you can't afford to, and see what they say. If they up your offer, awesome. If not, you're no worse off.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'd be honest with the new job. Tell them you want to take it, but financially you can't afford to, and see what they say. If they up your offer, awesome. If not, you're no worse off.
Absolutely excellent advice, Cali!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
^ This is a good idea!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014