Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
The Shifferbranes

Default delete thread: wrong forum section

About 5 weeks ago, I decided to get a puppy. Knowing nothing about taking care of dogs, I went to Petsmart as my one stop shop. I had no idea what dog food I should get, so I asked the Nutro Representative who happened to be surveying the isles of Petsmart. Of course she recommended Nutro, saying how it's the best dog food on the market. Price of a 40 lbs. bad of Nutro was $35, a bit expensive, but its high quality food right? So i picked up a bag. I then picked out all the common dog care items (bowls, leash, collar, etc). I knew that I had to get Ruckus his shots and neuter him, so I asked the cashier where would be the best place to get those things done at. She pointed to the other side of the store at Banfield. I talked to receptionist/service lady about their plans and she told me about the Puppy Optimum Wellness plan. Price was a bit steep ($300 for 1 year, $140 one time membership fee), but It sounded like I was getting the best health care for my puppy. Holy Cow, a place to get my dog food, items and health care all in one bulding. Petsmart has to be the best place ever!

WRONG. On my way back to school, I decided to stop by into a small pet shop, hoping to find another chew toy. Strange..... they sell the exact same items (bowls, collar, leash, etc) but their prices are like $3-5 cheaper. I then go to Banfield because my puppies been scratching alot. Vet wasn't friendly at all, he accused Ruckus of being an uncontrollable dog and told the nurse to hold him down while they put a muzzle on him. The vet didnt even stick out his and let Ruckus get to know him a little, he just reached straight for him, so naturally Ruckus growled. Since he was already on Frontline, the vet recommended medicated shampoo, conditioner, liquid supplements, tablet supplements, anti itching tablets, and a dose of Advantage. Grand total of ($140). I had him on this regime for about 3 weeks. Not much improvement, he still scratches alot. Later that week, I stumbled upon Chazhound Forums. I was browsing through random threads and saw a thread about how bad Nutro was. Know that I know how crappy Nutro is, I decided to switch over to Canidae. I found a local place that Sells 40 lbs. bags of Canidae for $30. Canidae is superior to Nutro, yet costs less and lasts longer... So ive been feeding him Canidae for about 2 days now, and guess what, he stopped scratching altogether. Canidae solved what $140 worth of vet prescribed medication couldnt. Lesson learned: do alot of research before you buy. Large stores such as Petco and Petmarts rip you off and dont provide honest service like you would expect.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 AM
The Shifferbranes

oopse, please delete this thread, it was meant to go into general dog discussion.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

That vet sounds awful!! A muzzle is a sure way to freak out a dog and make them hate going to the vets. (unless it's absolutely necessary)

Nutro isn't the worst food in the world. I don't think it's that bad...better than a lot of them. But I agree that there are lots better ones and Canidae is a very good choice.

I'll move this to the general area.