Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
On second thought...

Default I don't know what annoys me more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...tml?tid=pm_pop

I have a lot of disjointed thoughts right now, but I'm not happy.

I feel like I should go buy Plan B now just in case, because god forbid I am ever the victim of sexual assault- I don't want to have just gone through that and then have to jump through hoops to take Plan B.

It's hard enough to buy condoms, worrying that the cashier is judging you. I can't imagine it's going to be fun asking for it and wondering if the person on the other side thinks you were too stupid to wear a condom while you prove your age.

What if your father, or a family member or friend assaults you? If you're under 17 you have to tell your folks, they may not want you to take the pill, and then what? (Do you need parental consent to get an abortion?) I feel like underage girls could get trapped.

I don't know. I can understand some points made by the other side, but it's my uterus.

Anyways, my brain is going a million miles a minute. Thoughts?

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...tml?tid=pm_pop

I have a lot of disjointed thoughts right now, but I'm not happy.

I feel like I should go buy Plan B now just in case, because god forbid I am ever the victim of sexual assault- I don't want to have just gone through that and then have to jump through hoops to take Plan B.

It's hard enough to buy condoms, worrying that the cashier is judging you. I can't imagine it's going to be fun asking for it and wondering if the person on the other side thinks you were too stupid to wear a condom while you prove your age.

What if your father, or a family member or friend assaults you? If you're under 17 you have to tell your folks, they may not want you to take the pill, and then what? (Do you need parental consent to get an abortion?) I feel like underage girls could get trapped.

I don't know. I can understand some points made by the other side, but it's my uterus.

Anyways, my brain is going a million miles a minute. Thoughts?
Planned Parenthood will often happily sell you some pretty much on the spot, for just that reason. I probably shouldn't say this, but when I was in law school they offered to sell me some to keep in my medicine cabinet "just in case" the strong implication being "just in case a friend needs it". Probably illegal that (and I didn't have the cash), but not a bad idea in the world we live in.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Last month we had an...accident and I had to purchase Plan B. I went up to the counter, said, "I need to purchase Plan B," the pharmacist (or tech, or whoever it was) behind the counter said "Okay", handed it to me, I paid for it, and that was that. Granted I'm 20 years old, but she didn't ask to see my photo ID proving such. And this was at a Walgreens.

Honestly, I don't care that it has stayed a behind the counter purchase as I don't really see it mattering either way. Sure, there is that "what if", but I also think there are fairly simple ways around the 17 age limit...*shrugs* As you can probably tell, I'm very apathetic about the subject and don't really care either way.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

*double post*

Last edited by *blackrose; 12-08-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: double post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

I don't know how I feel about this. As the mother of 2 girls, they are my responsibility until they are 18. If my say 15 year old daughter needed this, I would certainly want to know. If she were raped I would want to know, if she were sexually active I would want to know. I want her to be protected against diseases and pregnancy so if she were to get pregnant then I should know, that she was raped or she didn't protect herself enough from pregnancy or disease.
I realize my girls come from a home that freely discuss's this stuff and that there are some families out there that don't. I would hope that my girls would come to me if they needed this, but it is hard to tell with a teenager sometimes, they don't want to disappoint their parents or they are ashamed.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

I took Plan B when I was 18 or 19.

And I had horrible, horrible side effects from it. If I want a mother of an underage daughter, I would WANT TO KNOW if she was putting these drugs in her body.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I took Plan B when I was 18 or 19.

And I had horrible, horrible side effects from it. If I want a mother of an underage daughter, I would WANT TO KNOW if she was putting these drugs in her body.
This.

I have no problem with this being kept behind the counter. I am not at all for taking parents out of the equation for under age girls

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
On second thought...

The majority of people on here, however, are responsible or have had responsible parents. What about 15 year old runaways? What about parents that would beat their child if they knew they were sexually active? What about parents who do no believe in abortion/b.c. and wouldn't allow their daughter to take this, essentially taking away her options? I think even a 14 year old girl has some rights to her uterus and what grows in there.

It's fine if everyone has great parents.

And even if your parents are cool with it, you still have to be able to have that conversation, get in to see your doctor, fill the prescription, that's precious time!

I wouldn't want my daughter taking drugs I don't know about, but I think having the FDA declare it safe enough to be put on the shelves and then having that overruled is just bizarre. I mean ****. If my daughter is 16 and I'm on a weekend trip to a conference, what would be her options with this?

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

As much, if I had a daughter, I'd want to know about this . . . well, there are lots of young women who may not have understanding parents. And this is something that has to be done right away. So, I have to come down on the side of over-the-counter. If its safe enough to sell over the counter to 17 year olds, then its safe enough to sell over the counter period.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 12-08-2011, 05:36 PM
and Spy.

I agree with AliciaD and Lil. This should not require a prescription or parental consent.

It is all fine and dandy if the parents are great and the kid has an awesome relationship, with them, but there are a TON of kids who don't have this. I mean, even amongst me and my friends, who love and respect our parents, a number of us would not at all feel comfortable admitting I need the Plan B pill, atleast not within 24 hours of it happening (which is when it is most effective)...

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like for kids from highly religious, conservative families, those who have been raped and those who who come from abusive/neglectful families.

I can't help but think this is one of those things where, in an ideal world, parents would get consulted that their teenager is taking drugs like these. However, given that this is NOT a perfect world, allowing the Plan B drug to be available is the best option we have right now. If you want to always be in the know with what your teen is doing, then parents, it is YOUR job, not the law's. Foster a great relationship between you and your teen. Assure them that, although you would prefer them not to make such mistakes (lol), if they do, they should never feel afraid or embarrassed to tell you about it and ask for help. Be proactive in educating them and creating an open communication relationship. At the end of the day, this is the best thing parent's can do to assure that they know what is going on in their teens life. Disallowing teens to get this drug without parental consent is not the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.