Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Wookie Collie

Not everyone knows what to do with their life at the same time. Everyone changes! Heck, I'm almost 28 and in a retail job (that I adore, mind you) while I figure out what my next step is. It might take me a few more years to get there, but who cares? Life is a journey, not a destination.

Try it out. If you don't like it, change it. Simple as that.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Porom & Barrett - Ferrets | Stan & Fiora - other half's cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

I think you are making a great choice! I graduated HS in 2008 also and kind of lingered around community college since then not knowing exactly what I want to do. Like you, financial reasons stopped me from going one semester. Then one semester, I only took, like two classes because I dropped two, etc, etc. Stuff happens. I thought I was going to be one of those people who got it all done and over with quickly; I had done the "jump start" program in HS. But nope, I'm still slow going, but I'm not terribly unhappy about it. In fact, one of my best friends is about to graduate after next semester with a degree in communications and she has NO idea what she wants to do. She doesn't really have a specific field or career in mind so she's basically going out there winging it.

A few months ago, I came upon a discovery that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. Something just hit me - I had spoken with friends who either are teachers or just graduated with the degree, I had read enough online and researched to actually feel really content with my choice for once in my life. I was over searching for the highest paying jobs, or the easiest jobs, or the most fun jobs, or whatever - I went from thinking of doing business, to criminal justice, to psychology, to communications, back to business again. I'm starting my elem. education degree in January and couldn't be more thrilled about it. It's the first time I've felt any sort of motivation or satisfaction with my school choice.

So I think if that's how you feel about accounting, then you are doing the right thing. And don't worry about being behind, or whatever. You STUCK with it and that's what is important. So many people do a few semesters at community college and then never go back - it's happened to a lot of adults in my life who regret not finishing and I did not want to make the same mistake.

Good luck to you.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
Not everyone knows what to do with their life at the same time. Everyone changes! Heck, I'm almost 28 and in a retail job (that I adore, mind you) while I figure out what my next step is. It might take me a few more years to get there, but who cares? Life is a journey, not a destination.

Try it out. If you don't like it, change it. Simple as that.
You said it!

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morrison View Post
My vote is to get a job and work. Save a little bit of cash, mature a little, then go to school when you find something that you're interested in. I'm 28 and just started college when I was 27 and it's the best choice I ever made. I would have done badly if I had gone right away.
This.

I graduated HS May 09, didn't go to college until January '11 and did two quarters (though that was to get credits for the Army) but then I started in August under the radiology tech program, thought I would like it and let me tell you, I was WRONG. NEVER.EVER.EVER. again.
I liked the IDEA of being a Rad Tech, but found out it wasn't what I wanted.
So now, I'm living how I want and working towards a job. I want to work with horses, so I am looking for horse farms that need stable hands

Everything will work out EXACTLY the way you want it to, just don't beat yourself up over it. Do what *YOU* want to do and you will be happy
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Water Junkie

Just because you go for accounting, doesn't mean you can't work with animals. I plan to pursue a degree that doesn't relate to animals at all. But, I still plan to work with animals by other means. Get a job that will allow you to make money. Then start working with animals.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 PM
treehugging clicker freak

You already know what I say! *slaps Jess!*

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Frankly, I suspect your family will take it well. If I had a kid, I'd be thrilled if they announced that they honestly wanted to be an accountant.

Yeah, its not glamorous, its not romantic, but they will never starve.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm on the list for my first class starting Jan. 2nd Financial Accounting 1 or something like that.
Bloody hell I'm nervous

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 12-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

Good luck! I think it sounds like you're making a good choice. You might find out accounting isn't for you, but it sounds like there's a much better chance it is for you than vet tech work is.

Like other people said, sometimes when you love something (like animals) it's better for the work to be volunteer based or to keep as a hobby.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Ninja Dog

I took accounting in high school and liked it. It's actually pretty interesting because it's just as much about theory/principles as it is about math.

Good luck!