Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Active Pup

Unhappy Unique Problem - Help Needed BADLY Please!!!

Hello,

I've got a unique and troubling problem with my dog and I was hoping you guys could give a novice some advice.

My fiancee has wanted a dog for the last four years that we have been together - and in July of this year I relented. It's not that I don't like dogs, it's that we already have two cats, live in a small flat and both work. In July my fiancee found herself in between jobs, so we got a female Yorkie-Pom and named her Abi.

Abi is adorable, but has proven very difficult to train. Perhaps it's us - as the owners our methods were well-intentioned but inconsistent.

Sabrina (my fiancee) got a new job and started two weeks ago - unfortunately Abi was not even six months old, and hadn't completed her house training.

At the moment, there's nobody in the house from 9:00am till 5:30pm at best (sometimes we leave earlier and come back later). We did not want to be cruel to Abi, but still don't trust her to stay good in a room by herself (not to mention we have two cats who get very agitated around her). Therefore, we've set up a hallway in the flat, closed it off with a baby gate, and put in it all that she would need - her crate which she finds comforting, a pillow, a couple of toys and her water bowl. Even though we don't want her to use it, just in case we put down a puppy training pad or two.

What usually greets my eyes when I come home (as I usually come home first) is this: Everything has been moved from its original location. Feces and urine in two or three spots around the hallway. And the training pads, lately, have been ripped to shreds.

This might be Abi's way of showing that she's not happy with being left alone (but on the rare occasions that I can come home at lunch, the situation's the same). She may just not be trained enough to know not to poo and pee here. As a younger puppy, she DID know to use the training pads, she just chooses not to now (or finds it's more fun to tear them apart). I make sure to clean up whatever she does using a special enzyme that completely removes the scent, to prevent her linking the spot to her pee.

We don't have the money for a dog walker to come by every day, nor do we know anybody well enough who is close enough, free enough and likes dogs enough to take care of her for us. Therefore we are stuck with what we have.

We've considered putting Abi in the crate for the entire 9-10 hours that we're out of the house - we're fairly certain that she can hold herself for over 12 hours if she wanted to. Is this an unnecessary and cruel solution? Does anybody have a better idea?

Until she learns, we can't go a single weekday without having to clean up Abi's messes inside the house.

PLEASE HELP! We need to have this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks,
WASSIM
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Top Dog

Well, I cant be of much help, but I will say, never leave your dog in a crate for such a long period of time. Its just cruel. Maybe you could puppy-proof a room and let her stay there?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:46 AM
GSDMom

do you have a heated garage? you could make a kennel run or
even outside if is not too cold!
put coarse shavings in and she will do her buisness on shavings
very easy to clean up with a small rake and shovel

10-12 hours is way too long to leave a puppy in a crate
2-3 hours is ok

just an Idea
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Active Pup

Question

Thanks, but I do not have a garage or kennel - like I said we live in a small flat.

I can puppy-proof a room, but this doesn't help the fact that as time goes on we're going to have an adult dog that is not house-trained. I shall set her up in the bathroom from now on as it's less trouble if she makes a mess there.

Anything I can do to get her house-trained without quitting my job??

Thanks,
WASSIM
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Top Dog

Wassim, there are a LOT of members here that can help you with house-training. You should get a lot of replies soon, a lot of people can help eliminate your situation. Good luck with it.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Staffie Mad

I think you just need to be persistant when your home with her. I think a lot of dogs left alone all day may have accidents. I know If I didnt have a doggie flap, shadow probably would, as I am in work all day like you too.

There are a lot of posts about house training on the forum. One method is, on you day off, put Abi on her lead, and attach the lead to you, that way you will be together all day. When ever she looks like she may need to go, take her outside (or wherever you want her to go) and praise her lavishly when she does go, and give her a treat. Its perservenace (sp?) Im afraid, I dont think there will be a quick fix for this.

When you are home does she mess in the house then?

Old 11-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Active Pup

When we're at home we rarely let her out of our sight, as she can easily start something with the cats, chew up something important, or start digging for - and eating - buried treasure in the cats' litter box!!

That being said, she does occasionally have accidents. I was off sick since Thursday, so she was accident-free from then until Sunday. But today... oh boy. Good thing I came home early to clean it up.

I will rest easy, honestly, if somebody tells me that even though she makes a mess in the house every now and then, she'll eventually grow out of it. But I've been told that if she makes a habit out of peeing and pooing in the house, she has no reason to stop her habits.

For the record, when I discover a mess, I don't talk to or pay attention to Abi, I just clean up the mess and pay attention to her later. Alas, dogs lack the long-term cognitive abilities to know that something they did four hours previously can make you mad.

WASSIM
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Staffie Mad

I dont know what else to say. Sorry. I dont know if she will grow out of it. My shadow is 7 months old, and only recently house trained. I just watched her like a hawk. Shes been "almost" housetrained for months now, she started slipping a few weeks back, and i uped my "watching" I managed to catch her before she went inside, and she seemed to eventually "get" it.

You take her out before you got to work, and as soon as you get in yeah? Do you leave food and water down for her aswell? Maybe you could feed her breakfast to her earlier, then take her out to poop beofre you go to work, that wya she may not need to poop when your out. Not sure about the peeing thou. If she's used to it now, it may be hard to get her to stop.

Sorry I coulnt be more help.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Top Dog

Sorry to say it, but that's just simply too long to leave a puppy by itself. (IMO)Dogs are from pack animals and aren't suited to be alone for such a long time, especially a pup. How can it be housebroken? That's too long for a puppy to hold it during the day. She's tearing up things because she's bored and lonely. Because she can't hold it and is going in the house, she is learning that it's normal to go inside. The more times she goes in the house, the more that behavior is reinforced.

I wish there were a way for you to afford someone to help out half way through the day. Sorry for your predicament.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
My pets love me they do

From what I have read, you dont leave the pup in the crate all that time, but have sectioned off your hallway with the crate in the hallway for Abi??? Do you have any chew toys for her (as she is still a baby and boy do they chew) I would suggest maybe some durable toys, a frisbee maybe one of those ropes that she can chew on. I know it is hard when you have to work, but maybe try with the chew toys. As for the shredding of the puppy pads, well that is just something new for her to chew on. It will take some time to figure out what is working for her and what isnt, just have some patience. Maybe seeing if a teenager in your area for a few bucks wouldnt mind coming in and taking abi for a walk each day...