Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Active Pup

Default Puppy Won't Eat

Our new little guy is incredible, but we're having some issues with feedings. We're trying to feed him 3 times a day, giving him like 20 minutes each time to eat (trying to avoid the freefeeding), but he only eats a part of his food. We're giving him a cup at a time, but he only eats like of that.

I know when we got him he was weened onto food and they (meaning the breeders) didn't mention having any problems with feeding him.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Love my pets

How old is your puppy?

Did you change the brand of food the breeder was feeding him?

Our pup liked the first food we were giving him but after a few weeks wouldn't eat it. He's now eating Canidae and loves it, even dry.

Depending on his age, maybe feeding him 2 times a day is enough. When we were feeding 3 times a day, our pup wasn't eating well either.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Walks into Mordor

How long have you had him? Is he losing weight? It may be that he's still trying to settle into his new home. And if he's not losing any weight, than I wouldn't worry. My pups never seemed to eat as much as the bag said they should.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Active Pup

He's 8 weeks old. We're feeding him the same food the breeder weened him onto. We had him for 2 days.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi is similar, I started off giving her set meals, leaving it down for X amount of time, and she would barely touch it.

It's not that she dislikes it, she just seems to be a snacky eater. She doesn't get all worked up about her dinner. So, against all I was going to do, I have started putting her food down and leaving it down. It all gets eaten, just more gradually! And she is not losing weight, and her 'bowel movements' are still quite predictable! In fact, she is beginning to look fantastic, still puppy like, but getting a lovely doggy frame! (proud me!)

As long as your dog is eating, and growing and not losing weight, I personally wouldn't worry. If they are getting skinny, unwell etc, then of course that is a different matter
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Love my pets

He may still be adjusting to his new home. Be patient and keep us updated.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Fila Love

I think it is pretty normal. The puppys I have had, have always had eating issues the first week. Keep in mind, everything is so different. No siblings around and all these new people. Keep doing what you are doing and hopefully it will turn around.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Love my pets

How is he doing today?